• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone verify authentic slab or not on this please?

19 posts in this topic

I know some folks can spot a fake slab from about 10 miles away. I am curious if this is one of those?

The reason I suspected it was because of the font and the position of the $1 as it relates to the bar code.

Sorry but the photo is a cell phone photo.

20150326_162747.jpg

Went across the street to look up that slab number and I'm getting a not valid number indication.

It looks legit to me but there's so many generations I'm not at all certain. Not my specialty.

The best way is to verify the coin itself. go to pcgs verify and compare the coin. however the picture at pcgs verify jumps to a ms68 coin, so can't tell.

looks pretty good to me - what does the reverse look like

I would be careful buying a $4K coin from anyone who could be shady

The pic looks like a star on lower right after PCGS

it should be a circled R

Went across the street to look up that slab number and I'm getting a not valid number indication.

It looks legit to me but there's so many generations I'm not at all certain. Not my specialty.

The cert looks fine to me, and the holder looks like one of the recent versions. The best way to tell is to ignore the slab and focus on the coin. Every counterfeit slab I have ever seen could be deciphered on the basis of the coin in it.

First off -- I am not buying this coin. Have no desire. I just noticed a few in a dealers display case that looked "off" to me. This is the one I focused on first. I told him I was not positive however the slab looked like a chinese counterfeit one.

Yes the first thing I had the guy do was look the Cert# up on PCGS. It came back as an MS67 as I expected, however there was no picture. If it was a newer slab there should be a photo.

Second I went and searched through HA and GC archives for the sale of (possibly) the real one but there is no sales history on this coin at auction.

Yes, I noticed that asterisk (star) whatever you want to call it on the bottom right corner next to PCGS on the plastic and that did not sit well with me.

I should have taken a photo of the reverse but the PCGS hologram was void of any holographic PCGS behind the large PCGS on the sticker or anything when you tilted it any particular direction and I can't remember for sure but I do not think this one had the stock ticker symbol.

The $1 seems to me to be too far to the left as compared to the other HUGE photo posted :grin:

Kenny, that was the first thing I did after seeing the $1 and the PCGS* was to look at the coin. I flipped out my handy dandy glass and while inside the store, I immediately said " ah, that is not a MS67".

However, when I got over to the door and used the sunlight to be able to see more, the coin did in fact fit the bill of a MS67, albeit a "C" MS67. But the main thing is that coin had numerous die clashes that was consistent with similar VAM's I have looked at, and if I had of pulled up vamworld right then (was rushed for time) I am sure I could have easily attributed it.

The coins surface seemed to be completely unmolested and there were a couple of areas of die polish near the hair, date, and elsewhere on the reverse. It is then that I told him that I could be completely wrong since the coin looks to not be a whizzed or doctored coin.

He had said that at one time he had it for sale on eBay and they made him take it down. ??????

So there are a number of things it has going against it and for it. That is why I turned to the very knowledgeable folks here. I told him I would email him in a few days to let him know what I found out.

20150326_162747_marker.jpg

Clipboard04a.jpg

To me they do not look identical. To me the $1 looks to be to far left on the subject coin.

e1cnr -- please oh please resize your photo for me. It is creating havoc. :)

I agree. You need a three foot wide screen to even read this thread.

Might be. I thought I replied to Larry. Guess not.

e1cnr had posted that just to compare slabs, not coins. What is needed is a slab that was holdered about the same time frame. I have one that was holdered about 500,000 later than the subject slab.

Its PCGS hologram on the back has good rainbow effects and it has the NASDAQ:CLCT as well as a small ® copyright next to the hologram and on the front bottom right there is a ® next to the PCGS.

This one looks to have some sort of asterisk or star. But the photo is not great so it very well could be a Might be a ®

Yes the first thing I had the guy do was look the Cert# up on PCGS. It came back as an MS67 as I expected, however there was no picture. If it was a newer slab there should be a photo.

Not necessarily. I have coins in new slabs without any corresponding images on the PCGS website. One of the coins was one that I submitted.

Yes, I noticed that asterisk (star) whatever you want to call it on the bottom right corner next to PCGS on the plastic and that did not sit well with me.

Is that an asterisks or trademark symbol? There is something comparable on my newer holdered PCGS coins.

The $1 seems to me to be too far to the left as compared to the other HUGE photo posted :grin: ....

To me they do not look identical. To me the $1 looks to be to far left on the subject coin.

The one photograph is angled which can create a different point of view.

He had said that at one time he had it for sale on eBay and they made him take it down. ??????

That is interesting. Did he tell you why?

Just going to throw this out there.... I would imagine that someone enters the information into a program and then they print these labels... Of course the positioning of the $1 is going to be different when you are comparing a CC coin with a P mint coin, where there is no P on the label...

I want to know more about why, or how Ebay could have made him take this coin down. sounds like there has to be more to this story.

Also, I do not know what they photograph and what they don't, but I have never been able to go view a photograph of a coin I submitted to PCGS..

Not too many people can tell the difference between a MS66 and a MS67

many people would be fooled with an authentic coin in a nice counterfeit slab

a clean 65 or 66, could easily be mistaken for a 67 in a 67 slab by the majority of coin collectors.

I have no idea where this coin was seen - I would be more skeptical in a pawn shop, but maybe not in a good coin shop - wouldn't touch it off craigslist.

That slab is fine. No red flags...and one of the newer blue to white transition labels.

I don't see anything that looks off...JMO.

OK. Well I am actually glad for his sake that it is real or at the very least does not seem to raise a blip on anyones radar like mine.

As far as the $1 and the perspective of the photo, well, yes I noticed that too, however there was no different perspective when I held it in my hand and studied it. The $1 is definitely further to the left and the space to the right of $1 is greater on that subject holder than the comparison piece.

I only mentioned that about the position and the font since that was used in a number of threads around here and ATS identifying fake PCGS slabs.

As far as why eBay told him he had to take it down. I am not entirely certain. We were talking after I had met with him to sell some gold and silver that I had stored up when the prices were lower and he had mentioned how hard it was for him to get rid of some of the stuff that he had been previously been sold and instead of finishing his website he decided to go open a store through Amazon.

I mentioned the possibility of him opening a eBay store since it seems many dealers are able to move their inventory very well on eBay and the listing and final value fees are considerably lower if you have a store. That is when he said, here let me show you these. He took me over to one of his coin displays and rotated it around to where the high grade Morgans were at. He said he had bought a number of those from a guy (with a good feedback score doh! ) and when he listed them eBay had sent a letter (email I guess) to him that he had to take them down and he wasn't sure why so he said the hell with eBay.

As he was telling me this I was looking at the coins including the one above in the display, and then in my hands, and I said well I think they told you to take them down because some folks identified them as fake counterfeit PCGS slabs, and I think so too. He did not seem shocked, get angry, or anything but only said "really .. do you really think these are counterfeit cause the guy I bought them from had good feedback and all."

Now you know the rest of the story.. As much as I do anyway. As I said, when viewing the coin inside the store under limited lighting my first thought looking at the coin was "that is not even a MS67" however once I got it to the front door and in the sunshine it looked closer to the part and there did not seem to be any surface disruptions at all. Add in the die clash marks which are consistent with what I have seen many times, I then told him "I take that back, I do think the coin is all right and not counterfeit but the holder still bothers me."

I suggested that I would take some pictures of the holder and then get the opinion of those who really know their counterfeits on here to either verify or debunk and that I would email him to let him know what I found out.

I still haven't found a listing of a sell of this coin in an auction (where so many of the counterfeiters seem to get their examples as a basis for their work) so without that and without anyone else suspicious, I will just let him know that I could not find anyone that would ID it as counterfeit so I was more than likely mistaken.

For NGC this would be true, but apparently PCGS only pictures them if they have also been paid for a TruVue image or if it is pictured in a registry set. If it has references to an auction appearance you might find an image that way as well.

I am skeptical of the guys eBay cancellations story. I rarely care about some sellers back story about an item and stick with what you see is what you get.

I have frequently found the tall tales keep growing and the frequency of 100% truth is low enough that the story seems to be background BS to fill the time.

Some people cut and paste pics to read the bar code, or manually decode it - but I do not care enough in this instance to bother.

I just wanted to update this for those that thought the story on ebay making him take it off line was fishy.

It was me that was mistaken. It was Amazon and they made him remove the listing because he was a new seller and it was a high dollar item.

I quote:

it was actually Amazon that made me remove it because I was a new seller and wanted my reputation to be built before selling high end items.

So that explains that. Makes sense. eBay did something similar to me a couple years ago. I was selling a good bit of gold and silver and they held a transaction until they could have a talk with me over the phone. They said that they had certain dealers that were vetted and they wanted to make sure I was legit.

I tricked em.. ;)