• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beauty is in the Eye of the Camera Lens

13 posts in this topic

...Or is it rather in the skill of the photographer.

About two years ago, I spent a goodly sum of money to upgrade my photography equipment. If they say replication is the highest form of flattery, then Brandon of BRG Collection fame has spent a lot of time blushing. That being since he has helped countless persons, including myself, to take higher quality pictures of their coins. Now I dont quite consider myself in his league, but in two years time I have come a long way and I have the pictures to prove it.

When I bought my current set-up it was basically the same equipment Brandon uses to take his pictures, the same bellows, lens, and a comparable camera in the Nikon D3100 (Brandon uses a Cannon). Additionally, I have the same Jansjo LEDs that he uses with the exception that I also use daylight lamps. Now one might think, same set-up equals same quality. Well the real truth is that while my pictures were better, they were no-where near the quality of his or even my own pictures now two years later. So what gives?

Well in two years of trial and error and thousands of pictures the key is in the skill of the photographer. This skill is especially apparent in the way the photographer sets up his lighting. I hate to say that lighting is everything, but lighting is everything. The equipment you use can be of lower quality IF you have good lighting. Through trial and error I learned how to take pictures of different coins minted with different metals and differing surface conditions.

Furthermore, macro photography magnifies and sharpens the finest of a coins detail allowing the luster and die polish to pop. When I learned how to take good macro pictures, my pictures improved accordingly. Still this took lots of trial end error to get me to the point I am today.

At any rate two years ago, I photographed an 1853 arrows and rays quarter dollar for my Dansco 7070 Type Set. That quarter with a crusty surface was certified XF-40 by PCGS. In other words, the coin has very little eye appeal in the hand. The pictures I took two years ago with my current equipment were better than my previous attempts, but the photographs were still un-appealing.

Now fast forward two years and Im working towards re-imaging all my coins and I got to my 1853 quarter and nailed it. I even made the crustiness look attractive in this attempt. Notice the sharpness of the coins surface details when compared to the original picture. I had considered upgrading this coin but now I like it so much that I may not do it.

Now Im not trying to improve the appearance of the coin with editing tricks but I do want to accurately accentuate all the coin's features. I feel that this attempt is the last re-do for this coin.

In summary, Im not saying that I have arrived, but that in two years I have made significant progress in honing my macro photography skills. I am attaching the new photograph to this post and Im going to post the old one in the thread. Like anything a person wants to be good at, it takes time and practice.

Gary

16513.jpg

See more journals by gherrmann44

Much noticeable difference and I agree that Brandon just has a knack for being able to take ANY coin and turn it into a beautiful presentation once he gets it under his camera lens.

Your not so bad yourself. (thumbs u

I left an eloquent note on how I have learned to do my photos for NGC notes, journals and the registry if not ETC.

Unfortunately, my note was lost when I attempted to add it to this reply section,

I had written what follows, so I hope this re-do is as wonderful lol.

I had worked with a production company as an extra, and learned about lighting during the shooting of BL Stryker, the Burt Reynolds Sunday Night Mystery Movie of many years ago. (Columbo era)

I learned that diffused light was the best. My wife, boat and me were just extras, but the shooting went on and on for quite sometime. Blowing up boats, running vans off bridges and so on.

Keeping their 'lessons' in mind after all these years. [if you remember, photoging was like some sort of mystic art up until I worked this out. The result you can make up your own mind. But, because I can't seem to get an image in this reply, I will write a tiny journal and the picture is taken with this method.

First of all, you must look at th image in your cell phone. If it is two years old or less, you have this capability.

Be sure there is no reflections, from overhead lights, your face in front of or behind the coin. I like to set it on a wood table, or have someone hold it.

1) Use a little bit of zoom, just a little. If you hold the phone too close, it will blur. We will fix this background you captured in a moment.

Instead of moving the camera, move the object until all reflections are out.

Leave a little 'border' of the background.

Then snap your best with your iphone. ( I use a Nokia Windows phone) Just love it.

Then here is the secret. Use the 'CROP TOOL'

This will allow you, using your finger to bring in or out to include JUST the coin.

Here is the result. GO TO MY JOURNAL I AM GOING TO POST AS QUICK AS i CAN AFTER POSTING THS.

GOOD LUCK

After you have your favorite snap, CROP IT!

You have a crop tool.

Capt, Brian

I have always felt it is not the equipment, but how the user is at using the equipment.

Someone can have a $10,000 camera and still get crappy images.

I recently purchased a much nicer camera which takes very nice pics--I don't have the basic talent or skill from practice that you and Brandon have Gary but it has made a HUGE difference in my ebay sales I've noticed.

Once I finish clearing out the last of this horde from my late "step father in law's" estate ( you figure out the family connection)..then I should have time to try and re-image many of my sets.

PS: another issue I have is that I purchased a super-powerful and fast computer recently. It is a "gaming computer" set up with gigahertz and terr bytes yada yada ( I'm not too savvy on this stuff)..but it has no slot for my 8GB camera memory card. I literally ( actually?) have to unplug my new computer and rehook up my old computer anytime I wish to add photos from my camera.

I wonder if they make an adaptor for the USB slot which has different memory card ports?

You didn't say what type of card your camera uses but there are lots of USB-compatible card readers out there. For example, search ebay for "USB 2.0 480 Mbps MicroSDHC SD SDXC UHS-I Memory Card Reader Writer Flash Drive". $4.25 BIN.

Lighting "IS" everything when it comes to photos!!

I do my pics outside, since I can't afford a set-up like some here have. Depending on the brightness of the day and amount of mild cloud coverage makes all the difference in some great shots!!

I use the Jansjos on coins that do not have a lot of reflectivity because the lights are direct and bright. Diffused lighting works best for me on most coins. I have three Jansjos and when I use them they are at 9:00, 12:00, and 3:00. For instance the 1806 half-cent in my 7070 type set was taken with the Jansjos.

Gary

For this coin, at what angle was the light hitting the surface? As close to perpendicular as possible or at more of a slant? Your tips are much appreciated!

~jack

Generally perpendicular is best to evenly light the coins surface, but it might not be a bad idea to experiment a little with this. With lighting, whatever appears to work best for the coin, go with that. Since all coins are different, there is no one way to do things. That said, I discovered the best overall way to set up the lights and I use that as a starting point. Then I tweak the lights some to get them just right. The camera and the coin should remain stationary with the camera always perpendicular to the coin. I look forward to you posting some of your results! In fact, I was impressed with your map presentation.

Gary