• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

50 Years ago today. Post a 1965 coin.

8 posts in this topic

I'm sorry, but I don't have a 1965 coin to post with this thread. Please post one or any coin from the Soviet Union.

50 years ago today, March 18, 1965, Alexei Leonov took the First ever spacewalk. He exited the Voskhod 2 capsule via an inflatable airlock. His spacewalk lasted 12 minutes. He had great difficulty in re-entering the airlock, and only managed to get in by venting part of the air in his spacesuit, a very hazardous undertaking. Ten years later in 1975 he was the commander of the Soyuz spacecraft in the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, the first international spaceflight.

LeonovSpacewalkSig_zpsxzvqmayf.jpg

CosmoBook_7ALsm.jpg

Here is my 1965 Special Mint Set which I bought directly from the mint .. in 1965. This is the set that collectors of my generation and the one before loved to hate. Most of the coins were dull, not well made and only one of them contained any silver, and it was only 40% silver at that. In return the cost was raised from $2.10 for the Proof sets to $4.00 for this thing.

I was into albums at the time, and I considered cutting this open to put the coins in their respective homes. The guys at Gimbels coin counter warned me that no one would know that these were SMS coins if I did that. So I bought a Capital Plastics Proof set flat pack holder to preserve the set and since lost the original envelope.

So here is my set. Still nicely preserved but worth less than I paid for the whole thing since it's not quite complete. BTW, I don't think I've opened this since 1965. That's sort of nostagic if you care to think about it.

1965%20SMS%20Set%20O_zpsmttkl2b9.jpg1965%20SMS%20Set%20R_zpsi29ze6to.jpg

I have two 1965 that are favorites... (actually one of them I no longer "have".... I hope the new owner is enjoying it as much as I did!).

20140924_172658-1_zps1ff837d3.jpg

This is the one that is currently in my collection..

20150216_164058-1_zps2gtsy8ys.jpg