• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945-P FSB Mercury Dime (Fudope)

5 posts in this topic

I wasn't going to bump my wanted thread up any further in the Money Marketplace but I did want to answer Fudope

Mad expensive....book value is only $2500. I wont mind paying $3000, but I don't think I can afford $4595

I know it seems like crazy money but those come up for auction very seldom (someone correct me if I am wrong) and that price, starting high like that, is more than likely just a place to start haggling. $3,200 or $3,500 might be where he ends up.

Of course there is always the chance that he sticks to his guns and eventually someone will drive by and buy it. But I can't fault him for starting so high since I believe most all of those are in strong hands and aren't going anywhere.

My advice is to be very careful when buying one of these to make sure that the coin is not a broadstruck coin in an unattributed holder. Sometimes, a broadstruck can be very minor and difficult to see with the gasket around a coin in a TPG slab. A broadstruck 1945 FB will be worth less than a normal FB.

I read something about that the other day. Maybe over ATS. I may have to read up on that but for now I am just marking that one off my list.

I wonder if the person who bought by NGC AU Details FS-301 1847-P Seated Liberty Quarter is on this site and reads occasionally.

If so --- I Want It Back! :grin:

Seriously though I would buy it back.

I thought a few years ago I heard that some enterprising thief was using a laser to separate Merc Bands in rather convincing fashion.

That's a slippery slope of a coin that I'd probably want in an NGC holder just because the standards are not the same between the 2 services.