• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 25c

18 posts in this topic

My first thought is XF45.

As was mine but most folks seem to think ANACS (possibly rightfully so) grades coins higher than reality dictates.

It will be interesting to see. hm

I will add that regardless of the grade, I like that toning on the reverse.

Most coins in the older ANACS holders were graded conservatively. I say no less than XF 45 more likely Au 50 . It’s a nice coin .

Most coins in the older ANACS holders were graded conservatively.

+1

Admittedly, I cherry pick these, but I have had good success crossing these over to PCGS. I actually like them very much, especially the old, old holders with the blue background writing and ANA hologram.

I'd say this coin would be maxed out at EF-40. It has too much wear on both sides to grade any higher. When I was a dealer I had two examples of this same coin in ANACS EF-40 holders, and the look was similar.

It could go as low as VF-30 or 35 on a crack-out and regrade. The obverse appears to have a lot of wear to me.

ANACS called this one EF40.

If (when) I submit it to PCGS, I expect it to get a VF35. The wear is too much for any EF Seated quarter I've seen - especially the obverse (I'm not trying to sound too negative, it really is a looker in hand). The reverse still has plenty of detail left, along with some nice luster in the rays and great color. It has a lot of character and history which is exactly what I was looking for.

My first comment was based on an Ipad image. Now that I have seen it on my desktop, I'd say the crack-out, regrade will come in at VF-30, maybe 35 if you are lucky. The obverse accounts for most of the grade of the coin. The reverse looks better because a lot of the surface is protected by the rays, and I've learned that that type of toning on a silver coin can look like luster sometimes. If you look at the eagle he's missing quite a few feathers.

Currently in an old ANACS holder. These are iPhone pictures, sorry for the quality.

IMG_2085_zpsmsbba8jg.jpg

IMG_2087_zpseh2jooyv.jpg

IMG_2091_zpsq9smv5nj.jpg

Technically, the detail is VF30. It could grade higher if there is great luster (up to XF40) but I really don't see it, at least in the pics. I don't like the hues of the secondary toning, and I think it's possible the coin could be labeled AT.

I don't think that this coin is technically AT. It looks like a piece was dipped years ago and then stored in an envelope. Of course it's always dangers to make such pronouncements from toning and a photo, but the color looks similar to what my personal experience tells me.

I don't think that this coin is technically AT. It looks like a piece was dipped years ago and then stored in an envelope. Of course it's always dangers to make such pronouncements from toning and a photo, but the color looks similar to what my personal experience tells me.

That is correct; as I stated, this is "secondary toning." However, sometimes the bright colors that form this way will get the coin no-graded, rightly or wrongly.