• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1967-P Kennedy Business Strike - The best I can tell, PL?

6 posts in this topic

First I will post smaller pictures as to not screw up the thread width, and then I will post links that bring up the full (Large) image for each obverse and reverse.

This is not what I have experienced with SMS strikes and the other thread talking about making a bad judgment call on what was thought to be a business strike got me wondering on this one.

It is heavily die polished, has PL tendencies yet the mirrors are not deep enough to get maybe 2" away when reading typed words on paper. The reverse of the coin has the more typical cartwheel luster bands whereas the front does not have them to any great degree.

*** Edited to add 2" away since I printed out this gauge on PL. I also noticed from that page that they "have fields that are nearly devoid of any cartwheel lustre.). ***

I am fairly certain it has not been polished or whizzed or anything like that. I did soak in acetone when I got it out of my bag of 90% silver tonight.

What is this? Business Strike or SMS, and what do you think it might grade if it were a BS?

1967_Obverse_Cropped.jpg

1967_Reverse_Cropped.jpg

Different Lighting

Reverse_Reflective.jpg

Link To Large Obverse

Link To Large Reverse

Thanks.

I did soak in acetone when I got it out of my bag of 90% silver tonight.

When you return it to it's bag, be sure to put it in the 40% silver pile where it belongs. ;)

Based on my limited experience with coinage of this era (SMS vs. circulation strike), your coin appears to be a regular circulation-intended half dollar. Again, my opinion may change upon inspection in hand, but I'm not seeing anything that throws up my "SMS" red flag.

Given a bit of chatter, I'd probably see it in an MS 64/65 range holder.

I did soak in acetone when I got it out of my bag of 90% silver tonight.

When you return it to it's bag, be sure to put it in the 40% silver pile where it belongs. ;)

I didn't mean to imply I thought it was 90%. I had purchased about $50 or $100 face 1964 Kennedy's and was finally going through them. I found one 1968 in there along with this 1967 (that really caught my eye).

It is not going back in a silver bag. It is in its own 2.5 x 2.5 adhesive flip.

Now I think that is a circulation strike. It just so happens that I recieved 3 rolls of UNC 1967 circulation strike kens and many of them had extreme die polish, cert similiar to the one you have there. .. I say circ. strike. I don't know about Pl though. None of mine were like that though.

I like it

I am going to say business strike as well. When I mentioned edge and reeding, I was inferring to sharpness of reeds, the uniform thickness of edge around the circumference, the sharpness of interior edge (rounded versus square) and then how sharp the corner between edge and outside reeding.

As far as prooflike, it depends on reflection depth - similar to Morgan dollars. The die polish usually helps mirrors, but not always and with your pictures, I do not see it. I do not feel I have ever seen satin get PL designation, only mirrors.

I suggest grabbing a proof, SMS, and circulation strike all from that era and see if you can determine any difference. I am pretty sure you already know the 1965-1967 period did not have proof coins, just the SMS versions.

As far as prooflike, it depends on reflection depth - similar to Morgan dollars. The die polish usually helps mirrors, but not always and with your pictures, I do not see it. I do not feel I have ever seen satin get PL designation, only mirrors.

After looking at it a few more times I must agree that there is no way any grader would designate this circulation strike as PL. That's too bad. Not one single 1967-P Circulation Strike coin that has made PL. I was hoping it might be the first.

I will keep this put up though, along with some of the other stuff I have that has little monetary value but I enjoy looking at very much. I just love Die Polish Lines. :grin:

Here is some food for thought; Somewhere out there there are a number of 1967-P Kennedy halves that were struck right before this one, that possibly do have what it takes for PL. :)