• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1984 Lincoln thoughts

7 posts in this topic

Putting together a set would be much cheaper buying other peoples lower grades, unless you want to have the top set in the registry.

Your coin looks rather nice, except your obverse looks 'bubbly', which may be magnification. MS65 ?

I'd say the grade would be limited to no higher than MS-66, Red. The surfaces appear to be one of those zinc and copper coated cents that got a bubbly layer of copper. I'm not expert when it comes to grading moderns, but usually a mint caused defect like that limits the grade when you get to numbers beyond MS-65. The piece has a couple of marks in any case, which would keep it out of the MS-68 range.

The surfaces appear to be one of those zinc and copper coated cents that got a bubbly layer of copper. I'm not expert when it comes to grading moderns, but usually a mint caused defect like that limits the grade when you get to numbers beyond MS-65.

I don't have a lot of experience with collecting or dealing in Zinc Lincoln Cents either, but based on coins that I have come across through forums, shows, etc., I see coins with the bubbling routinely graded in the MS67 range and even recently saw a DDO MS68 piece with the same defects.