• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1946 50c (REVEALED)

13 posts in this topic

MS65* over here

MS65+ over there

That is one beautiful walker. I think maybe the strike is weak in a couple areas but that might just be the year.

Apparently I don't know much about the series or I would understand why it might be controversial.

No chatter of any kind. It looks to be original so I'm guessing it's going to be an MS 66 only because MS 67 is near impossible to achieve. The only real weakness in strike is on the eagles leg IMO.

Nice coin.

I'll guess 65

Is there a little chatter between the T and Y on the obverse? Hard to see in the pic.

That's the only reason I didn't guess higher.

It's a beautiful coin.

How does the toning of a coin factor in when grading? I mean, do they give it a higher consideration for rainbow vs. say, purple?

Hey, I recognize those images! :)

Great coin, regardless of the grade...which I won't divulge. :D

EDIT: For what it's worth, I believe the coin is properly graded in its current holder.

Regardless of the grade it is a beautiful coin. I also know the grade however if I were to guess without knowing , I would have graded it one point higher than the grade PCGS gave it.

Apparently I don't know much about the series or I would understand why it might be controversial.

This coin was the subject of a thread here a few months ago, and some questioned the toning (granted that the thread had cell phone pictures and not professional images). I was expecting at least one person to criticize the toning.

PCGS graded this coin MS65, and I am guessing that the strike (weakness in the leg) might have had something to do with it not grading higher. In hand, the luster is there and the coin is free of any noticeable chatter.

And the lovely images in the initial post were taken by Brandon (brg5658), and he did a phenomenal job capturing the colors on it!