• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just an ordinary old Merc (NEW PICTURES).

6 posts in this topic

I am having difficulty seeing what is due to dark toning and what is due to poor lighting; either way, I cannot adequately assess the surfaces based on those images. On another note, how is the luster in hand?

This one would be hard to grade if one were looking at it live given the very heavy toning. Trying to grade it from a photo is even more difficult. It looks like there is luster peaking up from the very dark toning, but you really need an examination with 10X glass under strong light to make reasonable estimate.

The issue of when toning crosses the line and becomes environmental damage also comes into play. I think that this piece is on the borderline, but my reaction is to say that it will grade. As to what grade I'd say somewhere in the MS-62 to 65 range. It's impossible to tell how many marks are under the toning without a very careful examination. Even then the experts might differ. It could get knocked down because of the intensity of the toning.

As for my own tastes as a collector, I don't care for this piece. It is too dark for my tastes.