• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't Bid Against Me - I need this one for my set

13 posts in this topic

http://www.coinweek.com/us-coins/us-gold-coins/coin-profile-finest-known1849-c-open-wreath-gold-dollar-ms63-prooflike/

http://coins.ha.com/itm/gold-dollars/1849-c-g-1-open-wreath-ms63-prooflike-ngc-variety-one/p/1219-12001.s

I am joking of course, no intention for collusion here ;)

But I would love to own this fantastic rarity!

Bill Jones, will you be adding this one to your set? (worship)

It looks like the NGC Price Guide says $27,500...according to the Heritage site. But that might be for non-PL. Anyone else notice that?

That would be for the closed wreath version. This is the open wreath, by far the finest of the 5 known.

I'm making the joke because this coin is expected to top a million bucks, well out of my price range.... for now.

Strange that Heritage would write all of that up or copy and paste most of it from prior appearances...then not post the correct price guide info. I at least read the info that would lead one to believe that this has 7-figure potential if the right bidders show up.

Did you miss the note on the description?

"Note: Heritage Auctions' preview items are posted for the enjoyment and convenience of our clients, as well as to seek feedback from experts before the descriptions and authentication are finalized. As such, these items may not have yet been properly described or vetted. Our auction previews let you watch our auction grow. We post individual lots in our previews as soon as they have a description or a picture, so you don't have to wait until the auction is posted to get a glimpse of the items you want. We are continuing to add and correct information as we approach the auction posting date, so check back here often and Contact us with any comments or suggestions."

I'm making the joke because this coin is expected to top a million bucks, well out of my price range.... for now.

So you're not going to be passing this around at the next NGC lunch, then?

Boy, that seems like an AWFUL lot of money for a gold dollar......

Not all collectors are turned off because the small size of gold dollars. In this case there are only four or five of these coins known, and this is the finest known by a fairly wide margin. This one is an MS-63, P-L, and the next one is an AU-58. Then there is an EF-45 and finally a scratched up with a mounting removed from the edge.

A fifth one might exist. It has not been seen for years, and it might be the EF-45 that could have dropped out of sight for a few years and then cropped up again.

There is a chance that this piece might have been one of the first gold dollars struck at the Charlotte mint. It is a P-L, and it a Choice Unc. It might been sort of presentation piece.

At any rate the 1849-C Open Wreath gold dollar is the rarest Charlotte Mint coin that is a major variety.