• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1904 Double Eagle

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone see cleaning?

It is hard to tell much of anything as the photos look to be out of focus, and there also appear to be areas that are not illuminated properly by the light. It is absolutely possible that there could be cleaning there. Tilt and rotate the coin in hand and look for impairments in the luster (usually a dull look) and hairlines.

I would guess about a MS64 also but as far as being able to tell much about possible cleaning from the picture -- not a chance. It looks like you just took a very low resolution picture and made it bigger, increasing pixelation and decreasing clarity in the process.

A good camera on that coin and I bet it looks very nice.

I like it. I don't see any hairlines from a cleaning from the pictures. There does appear to be some haziness around 6 o'clock on the obverse that might be the result of an improper rinse. The coin still appears to have some nice luster so if it was dipped, it looks to have been done pretty well.

Quite a few small contact marks along the face and neck and some surface abrasions in the fields. I'd say MS63.

I thought it was a high 63 or a 64. It came back genuine cleaned. I don't see cleaning. I'll try and take better photos to post.

I thought it was a high 63 or a 64. It came back genuine cleaned. I don't see cleaning. I'll try and take better photos to post.

You should have told them it came from the Saddle Ridge Hoard -- then it would have probably come back in an MS65 problem free holder. lol;)