• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921-P Morgan Dollar

9 posts in this topic

In light of a recent thread that focused on the importance (or the lack of importance) of strike in assigning a grade to a coin I thought I might pose this example to get an idea on opinions. The other of course being the 1921-P Pancake Eared Peace Dollar featured elsewhere.

Although the manner in which I took the photo does not emphasize luster I can assure you there is full cartwheel and above average mint luster present on this coin.

There are two areas, that are opposite one another on the coin, that did not receive a full strike. I would be curious to get opinions on this one as to how the weak strike in those areas might affect the grade.

1921_P_Morgan_MS_Weak_Strike.jpg

Looks to have some luster remaining. Typical strike weakness on the wreath.

Bill, is that a rub on the lower cap? Also on the eagles left breast? Or are both of those just lighting?

AU58 or MS64.

I'm seeing significant weak strike too. In general I don't think the coin should be penalized for weak strike but rather, state of preservation, "pop" , luster etc. The coin appears to me to be MS 65 but I'm going to guess it got punished never-the-less. Accordingly, MS 64.

OK. First I have to say that this coin has not been graded by a TPG and never will I would think since it would not be worth the time and money.

I was just picking up where I felt I left off on that other thread about how it was mentioned that strike does not necessarily play a major role in the overall grade.

I can see by the comments so far that folks do take strike into consideration to the degree that I had hoped they do, for it would be a shame if those coins out there that have everything else going for it (above average mint luster, minimal marks, etc..), were penalized heavily based on suffering from the weak strike that is common with that certain issues. That way they can still get a fair shake. Maybe that was the case with the Peace dollar, as Mark suggested.

Of course, an issue that is often weakly struck, that has all the above going for it, as well as a uncommonly well struck example of a series that usually lacks good strike, well those are the 67's +

I still have my doubts about the amount of 1896-O's in AU holders when based off the photos I felt they were equal to or better than some MS62 to MS64 pieces. The only way I will ever know is to go to a coin show and actually have a look at some of these graded AU examples and see if I still feel as though they were penalized for poor strike.

seems like a nice dollar

a couple small dark spots on obverse

I could see it 64,65,66 depending on luster and eye appeal

I have seen weaker strikes than that on 1921's

I guess a good exercise would be to look at a bunch of auction pictures and try to find the weakest strike in a 66 or 67.

I guess a good exercise would be to look at a bunch of auction pictures and try to find the weakest strike in a 66 or 67.

I do just that, spend a considerable amount of time comparing images across grades.

This entire discussion here and on the Peace Dollar thread may help me understand what I am looking for when seeking out some of the weaker strike series.

Just to update this thread ... I figured what the hell, I might as well send them in regardless of how little they will be worth, in order to get them into a holder and protected for future collectors.

You guys are very good graders. It would seem that NGC agreed on that 1921 and placed it into a MS64 holder.