• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1909 Lincoln cent

12 posts in this topic

PCGS doesn't like the MS70 look anymore and won't usually give it a straight grade.

What are you basing the PCGS and MS70 comments on?

The color. There was a time when bright blue was considered to be an acceptable shade for a Mint State "brown" cent, but then it was found that the color was the result of treatment with MS-70. Therefore the coin is now considered to be "doctored" (maybe the wrong word) and therefore it cannot receive a grade.

PCGS doesn't like the MS70 look anymore and won't usually give it a straight grade.

What are you basing the PCGS and MS70 comments on?

The color. There was a time when bright blue was considered to be an acceptable shade for a Mint State "brown" cent, but then it was found that the color was the result of treatment with MS-70. Therefore the coin is now considered to be "doctored" (maybe the wrong word) and therefore it cannot receive a grade.

MS-70 is a soap, how could that be any worse than dipping a silver coin in acid?

Because MS-70 leaves those blue colors. The science and chemistry can be a debate for another post (whether it causes the blue or reveals blue already there) - but the fact remains, the coin has been treated, and now its blue. This look is not considered market acceptable.

Dipping, if properly done, not done too often, properly rinsed, and performed conservatively, is considered to be market acceptable. I don't have a big with a properly dipped coin, if it has the right look. I do have a problem with an MS-70'd blue copper coin (and the TPG's seem to agree).

These coins used to get into slabs all the time, but the TPGs changed their mind and now they don't, usually.

I understand the controversial effects of MS70 and the debate about the chemistry, but what makes you all believe that PCGS no longer views these pieces as market acceptable? I have seen coins with this type of appearance straight graded in newer holders. Was there a policy announcement that I am unaware of? Is this a new policy?

tentative grade, awaiting free truview and coins

1909 1C Lincoln USA MS64BN

31882593_1000x1000.jpg

I agree with that grade, and I have no problem with that coin in a problem free market-acceptable holder.

As I said, not all blue toning is MS70. And, even if this is, it's market-acceptable now...