• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Gotta Smile by Electric Peak Collection

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It seems like a bargain now.

I am currently in the middle of what was planned to be a few month long slow period, as I prepare for Part 3 of the Gardner Collection sale in May. But of course I am still looking, because there may be good opportunities at any time, and the stuff I might consider from the Gardner coins may end up too expensive. But in an effort to save money just in case, I have been looking more at less expensive half dimes in the AU to low MS range as temporary hole fillers and as examples of different varieties of issues I already have.

My latest purchase, from a weekly online Heritage auction, arrived on Friday. I had been eager to look at it closely in-hand. It is an 1870 half dime, graded MS 62 by PCGS. Eventually I would like to upgrade it with a nice MS 66 example. But this coin looked pretty nice for a 62 in the Heritage photos. I couldn't really see anything wrong with it. So I got it.

Having recently gotten an MS 62 Capped Bust Half Dime that also looked good in the photos (and is a mostly fabulous looking coin), only to find that it has a light x scratched into it, I was hoping the new 1870 would not disappoint. It did not! Although the cartwheel luster is quite subdued, there is a reason for that. The surfaces on both sides are nicely mirrored, but apparently not enough for PCGS to designate it PL. Aside from that, I can find only one very tiny mark with my 10x loupe.

The strike is good, but not great. The obverse toning is simply beautiful. The reverse is not as pretty, but is still okay.

So, having had the close look, I am tempted to crack it out in hopes of getting a better grade for it. But I probably will not, at least not for awhile. Here is the obverse, which looks much more lively in hand. Enjoy, and stay safe.

Alan

16396.jpg

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection

Very nice half dime. How's the luster on the coin? For a MS62 that free of contact marks and excellent strike, I think it either doesn't have a lot of luster left or PCGS felt there "might be" a slight rub on the coin, but they couldn't be positive.

Either way, it's a beauty! Congrats.

The surfaces on both sides are nicely mirrored, but apparently not enough for PCGS to designate it PL.

PCGS only designates Morgan dollars with the PL and DMPL designations. NGC will designate any deserving MS coin with either PL or DPL.

The surfaces on both sides are nicely mirrored, but apparently not enough for PCGS to designate it PL.

PCGS only designates Morgan dollars with the PL and DMPL designations. NGC will designate any deserving MS coin with either PL or DPL.

For classic coins, this is 100% correct. Just for completeness, there are certain moderns that PCGS will designated as PL or DMPL (2009 UHR and 5 oz. ATB pucks come to mind). And of course, my comments are with U.S. coins (those that I collect).

For classic coins, this is 100% correct. Just for completeness, there are certain moderns that PCGS will designated as PL or DMPL (2009 UHR and 5 oz. ATB pucks come to mind). And of course, my comments are with U.S. coins (those that I collect).

My comment was for circulating US coins, not bullion and all the other junk the modern USA mint produces.