• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ankur is up to it again! With a newp!

32 posts in this topic

Every now and then a coin presents itself that requires you to stretch beyond auction records. This was such a coin...a Seated Half graded by NGC and verified by CAC.

This coin boasts strong mirrors with multicolor toning on both sides. The obverse has deep blue with a firey red halo around the periphery. The reverse features deep lilacs and cobalt blue. I am thrilled to own the coin and hope it will stay in my collection for many years to come. Two images are below, one from the auction house and one taken with my iphone.

Feel free to guess the grade, and if you know, do not post it yet.

Thanks for looking!

ajthg4.jpgfkd6vq.jpg

4vlc8x.jpg16rvpv.jpg

Ankur

A civil war date

Would have to be dated a minimum of 1861 to be considered Civil War era coinage.

Well there are the Wealth of the South tokens which are included in the Civil War token series that are also dated 1860.

Gorgeous coin; I like it very much.

I must admit that I was bit apprehensive when I saw the title that "Ankur is up to it again..." until I realized that you were the poster. :devil:lol

:signfunny: Oh yeah great strike I am going with 65. (thumbs u

The first thing I note is that the pics are dramatically different. My guess is the auction pics (first set) were taken to emphasize the PL qualities of the coin. Often quite difficult to determine PL from pics, OP seems to be hinting at PL Don't quite see it. I will say MS65.

Great toning.

Carl

I know nothing of this series but I don't think it's a proof because the stars on the left are not struck up completely. On a proof I'd think they would be. The surfaces seem quite nice save for a few spots created over 150 years of existence.

I'm guessing ms 65 but it might be a touch lower.

It is MS62! :)

Interesting. I thought at first there might be some hairlining but then I figured it was the crummy slab. So I would have been at 64 with a GREAT strike...wasn't sure of proof status.

What do you think made the coin a 62? hm

jom

Interesting. I thought at first there might be some hairlining but then I figured it was the crummy slab. So I would have been at 64 with a GREAT strike...wasn't sure of proof status.

jom

The coin does have some minor hairlines. There are some contact marks but not enough to bring it to 62. Next time I see JA I will ask him his thoughts.

jom

The coin does have some minor hairlines. There are some contact marks but not enough to bring it to 62. Next time I see JA I will ask him his thoughts.

I'll save him the time, as he's probably busy. He's going to say it's 62 because that bottom set is more what it looks like, and those aren't just some hairlines and contact marks, they're 62-worth of hairlines and contact marks.

Ankur that is one amazing coin. The reverse is absolutely stunning. I'm surprised by the 62 but you holding the coin in hand state that there are some hairlines in the fields, could quite possibly from a very lite cleaning and therefore net graded to a 62. I'm shocked it didn't star. And if the fields look as PL as the first photos then a very light cleaning would indeed impart hairlines in the fields.

I think the coin is interesting looking. Your cell phone pics make it look cleaned and retoned long ago, thus IMO likely net graded down to 62. The level of detail and lack of obtrusive marks is consistent with a higher MS grade, thus there has to be something that caused the downgrade.

I'm not surprised. I saw some lines and scratches in that second set of images----that is why I didn't grade it higher than 64, as some of the others did. It's still a really nice coin though.