• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: 1865 S - Seated Liberty - Updated with Grade

16 posts in this topic

I would say AU also but I would bet they put a 'Details' on the end of that.

I like all the die cracks and cuds. ;)

EF 40. The scrolled edges are no longer clearly defined. I see no luster which suggests it's been cleaned but that might just be the picture.

agreed

I think the coin looks like an AU50, But even if not, XF40 seems too harsh to me. Often, luster doesn't show up well in in images, and look at the detail on the eagle, in particular.

The coin has the meat of a higher graded coin (maybe AU50), but I don't see any indication of luster. A coin with that much meat should have some of the original luster. This makes me think that the coin has be cleaned. With no luster, I would call it EF40 details.

The picture was taken with a digital camera.

There is a little luster in-hand but couldn't capture it with the camera.

It's been sent in for grading and will follow up with the good or the bad results.

Thanks for all the replies

I would grade it EF sharpness with concerns about a possible old cleaning that disturbed the surfaces enough to give it a "details" grade. Yes, the coin might have been an AU before it was cleaned, but with no luster (if there really is none) it can't be an AU now.