• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registered Mail

20 posts in this topic

I got a package notice left on my door 2 days ago, alerting me to a Registered package at the Post office (a package shipped from NGC). So, I go to the post office to pick it up - and the lady can't find it. I ask, "Isn't it in a locked cabinet, with signatures verifying custody?" and she looks at me like I'm crazy and says "Nope." So where is my package then, and why pay for Registered mail? "Let me ask your carrier where she put it when she gets back to the office, and we'll call you when we find it."

Are you freaking serious?

I'll keep y'all updated, but right now I'm pretty steamed.

Simply unbelievable ! In all the years that I have used registered mail, I have never heard of anything quite like that. All I can say is I hope your 'reggie' turns up soon and all ends well.

greysoldier

I have had registered mail problems like this a couple times. Both times the Post Office "found" the items in a short time, but it does not make you feel much better until it turns up.

Jason, all I can say is that you are the one who has to live there and probably deal with repeat situations again and again. If it were me, I would be filing a complaint with the postmaster because of that uneducated clerk. For all you know, her coworkers are probably just as bad, and it will probably be you who has to suffer the consequences.

Chris

That's crazy. I went to pick up a package once and they had it locked in the safe. The clerk with the key to the day lock, took the key with him to lunch.

I had to go back later to pick it up.

I got a package notice left on my door 2 days ago, alerting me to a Registered package at the Post office (a package shipped from NGC). So, I go to the post office to pick it up - and the lady can't find it. I ask, "Isn't it in a locked cabinet, with signatures verifying custody?" and she looks at me like I'm crazy and says "Nope." So where is my package then, and why pay for Registered mail? "Let me ask your carrier where she put it when she gets back to the office, and we'll call you when we find it."

It should be locked in the Post Office's safe per USPS regulations. If it is not locked up, complain! I would file a complaint anyway.

Could easily be a lazy (incorrect if it is) mail carrier who signed it out and never turned it back in.

Yes, if the carrier left notice more than a day before, they have had ample time to return it (end of their shift the day they left the notice) and sign it back in. In which case, it should not have left the safe again, in so short of a time. Unless you asked for a re-delivery attempt, which you obviously didn't, they have no excuse for it not being in the safe, with limited access and a sign out process.

If you wanted to get things to a head quickly, you would have asked to talk to whichever manager was on duty that day, not just the clerk at the desk, and ask why a registered package was not in the safe more than a day after the notice was left........human error/mistake/problem is all they would have been able to answer with.

I have had a similar situation happen to me before but it was while it was en-route and not at the delivery station. It ended well but it is unnerving to say the least. I hope all ends well.

Well, the story has a happy ending. I went to check my mail this afternoon, and my registered package is sitting in my mailbox waiting for me.

Yeah, I'm super happy with the post office. Great job, guys.

Well, the story has a happy ending. I went to check my mail this afternoon, and my registered package is sitting in my mailbox waiting for me.

Yeah, I'm super happy with the post office. Great job, guys.

That is unacceptable. It should not be sitting in a mailbox where it could be stolen. That's why you paid higher Registered Mail rates. File a complaint.

Jason, all I can say is that you are the one who has to live there and probably deal with repeat situations again and again. If it were me, I would be filing a complaint with the postmaster because of that uneducated clerk. For all you know, her coworkers are probably just as bad, and it will probably be you who has to suffer the consequences.

Chris

This should go above the postmaster IMO.

The carrier has custody of the package when she leaves the Post Office for the delivery. It should be returned to the safe when she returns with the package, but I'm sure that some Post Offices don't follow all the rules. This is one of a hundred reasons to use a PO Box ;)

The carrier has custody of the package when she leaves the Post Office for the delivery. It should be returned to the safe when she returns with the package, but I'm sure that some Post Offices don't follow all the rules. This is one of a hundred reasons to use a PO Box ;)

Registered Mail is not released to any carrier. They are kept at the PO. All the carrier has is a delivery notice for the addressee. The addressee must go to the PO to get the Registered Mail.

Chris

Registered Mail is not released to any carrier. They are kept at the PO. All the carrier has is a delivery notice for the addressee. The addressee must go to the PO to get the Registered Mail.

Chris

If that is the case, then my post office does it very differently. Just last week, I got another Registered package (my PL trime), and I happened to be home at the time. She brought it right up to my door, and I signed for it.

Chris

If that is the case, then my post office does it very differently. Just last week, I got another Registered package (my PL trime), and I happened to be home at the time. She brought it right up to my door, and I signed for it.

It sounds to me like the right hand doesn't like what the left hand is doing.

With all of the publicity we read about the PO doing poorly, maybe some of the regions are doing things their own way by disregarding the rules.

Chris

Chris

If I am not at home they leave a notice for me to retrieve the package from the post office. If I am at home they bring it to the door for me to sign and accept delivery.

The registered mail parcels ARE signed our by the delivery carriers when they make the initial delivery attempt. If no one is home they leave the slip and they are supposed to sign the package back in when they return to the post office. Then it does stay there for several days until they make another delivery attempt. At which point the carrier signs it out again.