• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT? (Now with seller response)

16 posts in this topic

The color pattern is wild. How was it stored?

I don't know. Don't have it in hand yet, but noticed seller listed many similar ones with different dates. If it looks good in hand I will send it to NGC :wishluck:. Still mad at PCGS for ridiculously long time it took them on my last batch.

I have had Silver an Eagle tone in the holder in which it was presented to me. It did not look like this. I don't care for this as an NT coin at all. The reverse is especially questionable.

It is very hard to tell from the pictures, either way, but often if a seller has a lot of the same thing that's a good sign it's AT (unless they all look much different and/or are in holders). Also, others have more experience with this, but my understanding is that PCGS is more willing to grade a very modern toned coin than NGC.

I suspect it has been in an aftermarket holder for a few years.

I hope those are not scratches above IN GOD

I don't think so; I think that's toning. Another reason I thought NT, ATs don't have that.

Did some more looking into the seller. He has a bunch of eagles, about 15 with the same type of toning, 5 more with other. He has thousands of items for sale; doubt he'd sell AT knowingly.

I did ask what they had toned in, haven't gotten an answer.

I have dabbled in the toned SAE market in the past, and still have a few handfuls.

I would have to see that one in-hand as, from the pictures, I don't like it. I would QT it.

It may have some natural toning along with some "help". Hard to tell from the photos.

And, that's the main problem...the photos. They aren't good enough to give a better answer.

I hope it is NT for you and you like it.

As for sending to NGC, I seem to recall some folks mentioning that NGC doesn't like to straight grade toned SAEs? Or was it just "moderns"?

Either way, good luck.

Btw....the quickest tonight I have seen has been with the small cardboard holders...things like "Happy Birthday", "Silver American Eagle", etc...they are little holders for celebration or just showcasing. Exposed to the air, and with the reaction to the cardboard (sulfur most likely), they can tone somewhat quickly. Though, I have never, personally, seen a vibrant green one toned in that condition (holdered toning by PCI holders is different than what I described above...I have had a few of those...catseye toning...I like it)

It looks NT to me. Keep in mind that the coin has a different composition than traditional classic silver coins (99.93% vs. 90.00%) and it will tone differently and more rapidly. With regards to market acceptability, NGC has historically been resistant to certifying any of the toned Silver Eagles, even those that appear to come from old PCI holders which produce a characteristic target toning that is NT. PCGS has embraced these in the past. PCGS was very liberal on these at one point and did slab many questionable pieces, but has since tightened considerably and arguably over corrected. So with regards to market acceptability, I lean towards yes but wouldn't be surprised if a TPG doesn't like it.

The seller says that he acquired 85 of these coins from a collector-coins that were stored in 2x2 flips in a basement. I'd heard stories similar, but if anyone AT'd them, I'm pretty sure it would have been a year prior to when he got them. I will submit it and hope the graders find it MA.

Dante