• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade (toned nickel)

12 posts in this topic

I'm not a nickel person either, i just bought it because it was pretty, maybe a nickel person will pop in and tell us were the wear is. It's got lots of luster yet probably 95% left.

The wear on the nickel is most evident in the porch, face, and dome of Monticello, but it also shows across Monticello and in the reverse fields. There is a good amount of wear in Jefferson's hair and face, with some rub in the field in front of the face.

The nickel is pretty and shows evidence of having been stored in a Whitman folder for a number of years.

Hoot

Thanks Hoot! yeah ok I can see the wear on the reverse, but I still need to learn a lot more before I would feel safe buying nickels! (well expensive ones, dont mind spending on a pretty coin though) grin.gif

...feel safe buying nickels

An acquired sense of false security! wink.gif

Detecting rub on nickel coinage can be one of the more difficult things learned in any series (including modern clad material). Especially for high-end AU coins, bag/flip/slide marks in critical device areas combined with a less than full strike can easily be mistaken for light rub from circulation. Rub in the fields, however, is unmistakable. Yet, as I say that I realize that many Jeffs (especially early in the series) can get orange peel textured fields or haloed fields that some will mistake for some form of rub. Like anything, it's a matter of looking at a lot of the coins and becoming familiar with what to look for. Heck, John Maben's recent Coin World articles have me looking at the rims of all the coins I own and all I consider buying!

Never boring!

Hoot