• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade on this Morgan

16 posts in this topic

Coin has a bit of discoloration (suggesting wear) in the hair above ear. The luster in the breast feathers seems rubbed a bit too.

I agree MS 58 on a coin that otherwise might grade MS 65.

Coin has a bit of discoloration (suggesting wear) in the hair above ear. The luster in the breast feathers seems rubbed a bit too.

I agree MS 58 on a coin that otherwise might grade MS 65.

Well stated.

I also see what appears to be a large abrasion below the ear on the obverse.

Joe I am pretty sure that it is a scan from a scanner and in my experience, not many people try to hide the luster when trying to sell a good coin.

I was just making a WAG based on the assumption that those images are from a listing of a seller on eBay.

Other than that I have no basis for my guess.

I posted a couple of images of scans from a couple different sellers on eBay the other day of two 1896-O Morgans that I was bidding on when the rest of the world is asleep. I got them for very little and was willing to gamble the cost of return shipping to see if I might have some luck.

Both came in polished and/or whizzed. I returned them both and was reimbursed for the shipping too, so from time to time I will still take a gamble.

If I am way off base with the above then I would have guessed a MS65 if the luster was all there.

Not my coin. Good guesses everyone.

Dante

Why do you say "Good guesses everyone"? No one guessed the assigned grade and most guesses were nowhere close to it.

Dante

Why do you say "Good guesses everyone"? No one guessed the assigned grade and most guesses were nowhere close to it.

In fairness, I guessed "58 or 63" which is semi-correct. :devil:

Dante

Your grade sure wasn't. Where precisely did you see circulation wear?