• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First graded buffalo

18 posts in this topic

Working on my NGC type set this year and came across this beautiful buffalo. Watched it for a few days then gave in and bought it. Just love the details. Cant say I care much for low grade ones but MS66 ish seem to do the trick. Day after it arrived in the mail I shipped it out to Brg5658 for a photo shoot seen how I dont think it will be replaced in my type set anytime soon.

<a  href=1938D_BuffNickel_NGC_MS66_composite_blac

Congrat's and a very nice Buff. I like it and Brandon takes some really great photos.

On a hunch,based on how nice of a MS-66 it is, I decided run through that entire invoice submission number just to see what the dealer submitted that day on that invoice. I found it to be some interesting results.

Out of the entire 63 Invoiced coins, Buffalo Nickels comprised 100% and break down:

1544349-001 through 1544349-045 --- All 1937-P and 100% graded MS-66

1544349-046 through 1544349-063 --- All 1938-D and 100% graded MS-66

Photos were being taken at the time, however only one photo of one coin was taken: 1544349-034

Makes me wonder if those coins ever reached the hands of a grader, but then again, dealers don't receive any preferential treatment so I guess they were all cared for equally well over the years, surprisingly.

Go for the bean!

Congrat's and a very nice Buff. I like it and Brandon takes some really great photos.

On a hunch,based on how nice of a MS-66 it is, I decided run through that entire invoice submission number just to see what the dealer submitted that day on that invoice. I found it to be some interesting results.

Out of the entire 63 Invoiced coins, Buffalo Nickels comprised 100% and break down:

Photos were being taken at the time, however only one photo of one coin was taken: 1544349-034

Makes me wonder if those coins ever reached the hands of a grader, but then again, dealers don't receive any preferential treatment so I guess they were all cared for equally well over the years, surprisingly.

Go for the bean!

Actually, photos were not being taken at the time these were slabbed. The one coin with a picture has one because it was reholdered. The coin BrokeCC sent me was in an older holder with no prongs.

Interesting that it's probably the most widely collected buffalo. There are plenty of those last date in the series coins available which keeps the cost under control and since they were well struck they are a terrific example of the series.

Yours is one of the really nice ones.

Actually, photos were not being taken at the time these were slabbed. The one coin with a picture has one because it was reholdered. The coin BrokeCC sent me was in an older holder with no prongs.

Well that would explain the single photo. (thumbs u

You had it in hand; did it look as though it was a very strong MS66 or even a possible candidate for MS67 ?

Or maybe a Green or Gold Bean?

Regardless it is a good looking coin. ;)

Well that would explain the single photo. (thumbs u

You had it in hand; did it look as though it was a very strong MS66 or even a possible candidate for MS67 ?

Or maybe a Green or Gold Bean?

Regardless it is a good looking coin. ;)

I think it would green bean, but for a coin worth $65 and one that the OP has no intent on selling, I think a CAC bean is overkill and would not really add anything to the coin.

1938-D Buffs are great type coins exactly because they are common even in very high grade. The differentiating point for the issue is then finding one with really nice eye appeal. This one certainly fits the bill. :grin:

Go for the bean!

Thanks everyone.

Where are you guys pulling this invoice info from?

Also pre three prong didnt get photos done?

Sorry for the basic questions but just getting into slabbed coins. Noticed when looking up some #'s that some didnt have photos

Go for the bean!

Thanks everyone.

Where are you guys pulling this invoice info from?

Also pre three prong didnt get photos done?

Sorry for the basic questions but just getting into slabbed coins. Noticed when looking up some #'s that some didnt have photos

I don't think I've seen an NGC coin image in their database pre-prongs. Not sure on the exact date they started, but I do remember a recent story that they have imaged 10 million certified coins -- coins certified before images will just show up when you verify the cert # with all of the label information, but no images.

He got the "invoice" information by typing in the cert numbers...the first 6 or 7 digits of an NGC cert # is the invoice number, the last 3 digits after the hyphen are the line number on the invoice. So he manually typed in the cert numbers and recorded the information.

BTW, NGC holders have 4 prongs except for the Indian $2.5 and $5 golds (they did three prongs on these to avoid covering up the mint marks I believe). PCGS has three wide prongs.

These are likely from common-date rolls sold at auction a while ago. There are many more rolls out there.