• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You're From Where?

33 posts in this topic

Wisconsin. That's right, I'm a cheese head. :)

Born 30 miles from Green Bay and proud of it.

I would guess not many of us on this forum?

Since I'm talking about Wisconsin, I'll share a little history:

1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial Half Dollar

Heritage_Wisc_Combo_A.jpg

Design:

Obverse: The first territorial seal of the State; a miner’s pickaxe held by an arm, over a mound of stone; below, in three lines: 4TH DAY OF JULY ANNO DOMINI 1836; around outer border in large letters, WISCONSIN TERRITORIAL CENTENNIAL; 1936.

Reverse: A badger to left; in background, three arrows and an olive branch; in small letters directly above the badger, IN GOD WE TRUST; around in under border, above and below, E PLURIBUS UNUM – LIBERTY; around outer border, above and below, in large letters, UNITE STATES OF AMERICA – HALF DOLLAR; directly below the log on which the badger stands, the engraver’s initial H.

1936 Mintage of 25,015, 15 for assay. A coin designed and modeled by David Parsons and Benjamin Hawkins. Distributed by the Coinage Committee of the Wisconsin Centennial, Inc., Mr. John Callahan, (Chairman of the Commission) State Superintendent of Public Instruction. A coin in my collection.

During July, 1936, the Philadelphia Mint struck 25,015 pieces, and this coinage represented the minimum permitted under the Act. The designs selected for this issue were well chosen, as they are significant of the State’s history. The obverse, displaying the seal of the Territorial Government, depicts the early lead mining by primitive methods in Wisconsin. It might be noted, however, that the Territorial Seal was not copied in every detail. The reverse shows the badger, still the emblem of the state, and typifying the early fur-trading days when the Northwest Territory was first opened. Both obverse and reverse of this issue emphasize the natural and physical resources of the state of Wisconsin.

The Wisconsin issue is notable, as it is one of three issues all approved on the same day, in which no limit is placed upon the coinage of half-dollars for the period specified under the terms of the Act. Under these three Acts, an unlimited number of coins could have been ordered by each commission in the minimum amounts specified; and for the period of a year Congress relinquished control of the limitation of the coinage of half-dollars to the Wisconsin, Bridgeport and Delaware-Swedish commissions.

Politically Wisconsin was under the French from 1634 to 1760. After the fall of Montreal in 1760 the English took control and kept it until 1783. In that year it was ceded to the United States but was not wholly free from British domination until about 1815. After the close of the Black Hawk War about 1833, the Indians caused but little trouble and development was rapid. Though the population was little more than 11,000 in 1836, the State furnished nearly 100,000 men for the Union Armies during the Civil War some several decades later.

Though Wisconsin is known as the ‘Badger State’ and the badger is shown on the state’s arms, it is not indigenous to that territory. It probably originated as a nickname for lead miners who came from the East, and who lived in dug-outs like the hillside burrows of the badger. Eventually the name ‘badger’ was applied to anyone living in the state, and finally ‘badger state’ became a familiar expression.

The original design for this coin was made by Mr. David Parsons, an art student of the University of Wisconsin. The design was further developed and prepared for minting by Mr. Benjamin Hawkins, a well known sculptor of New York City. Collectors desiring specimens could obtain them by writing Mr. John Callahan, (Chairman of the Commission) State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Madison, Wisconsin. The price was $1.50 per coin, plus seven cents for postage and insurance for the first coin and two cents for each additional one ordered.

The Wisconsin Territory included parts of the present Dakotas, Minnesota and Illinois. The first Territorial Governor, Henry Dodge, an appointee of President Jackson, took office on Independence Day, 1836, as noted on the coin.

It is worthy of special note that this issue does not commemorate the centennial of admission into the Union, which was an occasion for many State commemorative issues. The Wisconsin half-dollar anticipates by twelve years the State centennial of admission into the Union.

Coin3C.jpg

Art student David Parsons. Image courtesy The Wisconsin State Journal, Madison, Tuesday, May 12, 1936.

More to follow.

:)

Enjoy your coins.

I don't know whether to post this or not, but I'm a Bear fan. Spent my first 25 years in the Chicago suburbs.

I visited Lambeau and saw a Bears/Pack MNF game in '86. It was a great experience. The Bears won, so that was a bonus. You've been beating us regularly over the last decade or so. Here's hoping our new coach can turn that around.

Thanks all for the kind words. :)

Glad to see some other Wisconsin forum members. Born in Kaukauna myself.

jpcienkus, you get a pass talking about the bears in my post due to the fact you went to a game in Green Bay. ;)

David G. Parsons, youthful University of Wisconsin artist, was a bit discouraged today. A curt little paragraph from the U. S. Treasury department sent just about 70 hours of pretty hard work, some of which is shown above, into the waste basket.

Parsons, who hails from Lake Kegonsa, designed the Wisconsin centennial half dollar at the request of the centennial committee.

After examining Parsons’ work, treasury officials notified Senator La Follette in Washington that the model was impractical for coinage purposes, because the relief was too high, the letters too crowded, and the background too flat.

Parsons_Obv_NGC.jpg

Obverse of Parson's design.

As a result the talented campus artist faces at least 50 more hours of work but he isn’t going ahead this time, he said, until the centennial committee gets the official specifications from Washington.

On the rejected model he had sought to follow directions laid down by the committee. His major difficulty was capturing the life appearance of a badger which appears in the design. The committee had specified the lettering just as it wanted it and had ordered the words 'Wisconsin Territorial Centennial' in large, readable, letters.

Members of the committee were expected to secure exact specifications from Washington some time this week, after which Parsons will proceed with the new model.

The congressional bill authorizing coinage of Wisconsin centennial half dollars has been approved by both houses and is now before Pres. Roosevelt for his signature.1

1. The Wisconsin State Journal, Coin Model Rejected, Artist To Try Again. Madison, Tuesday, May 12, 1936.

More to follow.

It probably originated as a nickname for lead miners who came from the East, and who lived in dug-outs like the hillside burrows of the badger.

They're Hobbits!

It is worthy of special note that this issue does not commemorate the centennial of admission into the Union, which was an occasion for many State commemorative issues. The Wisconsin half-dollar anticipates by twelve years the State centennial of admission into the Union.

Well they had to find something they could point to to celebrate to try and raise money during the Depression. (Unlike some of the others they were apparently too honest to just make something up.)

Well they had to find something they could point to to celebrate to try and raise money during the Depression. (Unlike some of the others they were apparently too honest to just make something up.)

Very true Conder101. I am actually going to have a whole chapter devoted to Commissions submitting requests to Congress for coins in the series, that failed. There are a ton of them.

I'm just regretful that I can't find all the rejections.

Thanks Lee! I highly recommend a visit to Lambeau. I'd like to go again now that they've made so many changes.

The game was great and the crowd was even more interesting. Every time the Bears scored, there was a rather attractive woman near us who had no problem raising her shirt to share all! There's more to the story, but it's something I'll never forget.

BTW, I also like to Muskie fish! Here's one of my nicer ones from last year:

P1000096_zps681bcab4.jpg

Is that the bait? Looks like muskie like minnows. Kind of small -- belongs in one of those ornamental koi ponds.

;)

Thanks Lee! I highly recommend a visit to Lambeau. I'd like to go again now that they've made so many changes.

The game was great and the crowd was even more interesting. Every time the Bears scored, there was a rather attractive woman near us who had no problem raising her shirt to share all! There's more to the story, but it's something I'll never forget.

P1000096_zps681bcab4.jpg

SWEET!

Born in Milwaukee, grew up in Waukesha, now living in the far southwest suburbs of Lake Geneva (i.e., NW burbs of Chicago). I'll get out of here someday.

Another thing we have in common besides the Early Commemoratives.

(thumbs u

Thanks guys. That fish was caught on Rough Rock Lake in NW Ontario. It was 45". I caught 7 that week, with 4 being over 40". The 45 was fat, but we don't weigh the fish anymore. I'm guessing it was between 25 -27 lbs. In the Muskie world, most people don't weigh the fish anymore as it is believed to hurt them. Since people don't weigh fish anymore, of course, I believe they over estimate the weight. It's pretty much all catch and release too. Anyway, my largest Muskie is 52".

I didn't really think we'd get off on a fishing tangent here, but it's all good. (thumbs u

Parsons_Rev_NGC.jpg

Reverse of David Parson's design. Courtesy of Don Taxay, p. 202.

Declared by United States mint and treasury officials one of the most beautiful commemorative coins ever produced, the Wisconsin territorial centennial 50 cent piece is in Madison and is being distributed to those who ordered them.

Payment for the coins was made two weeks ago by Wisconsin Centennial, Inc., and the entire issue was immediately shipped by express for distribution to the thousands whose orders have been pouring in since the bill authorizing the coin was passed by Congress.

To the layman a commemorative coin is just another souvenir of a celebration. To a coin collector it is a numismatic gem or historic relic which grows in cash value each year.

Increase in Value

The Texas half dollar, minted last year, now has a market value of $2.50. The 1935 Connecticut half dollar brings $5. The 1935 Hudson, N. Y., 50 cent piece sells for $8.50. A 1922 Grant half dollar costs $20. Every commemorative coin minted since 1892 has a market value in excess of its legal value.

The tremendous interest in this type of coin is shown in the orders received by the Wisconsin coin committee. Before the coin arrived four-fifths of them had been sold by mail order. Orders have come from every state in the union and most foreign countries. One collector in Europe, who represents clubs and individuals from England to the Orient, requested by cable a thousand of the Wisconsin coins to distribute to his clients.

Avoid Racketeering

Other states have inadvertently allowed commemorative issues to become a numismatic racket. Because of the difficulty of mailing individual coins, some of these states have permitted a few dealers to “corner” the market, and collectors have been penalized by being compelled to pay high prices to keep their collections complete.

Wisconsin Centennial has prevented this by refusing to sell large lots of coins until individuals in the state have had a chance to buy for their collections. This policy will be continued, for two weeks, and then the remaining coins, if any, will be turned over to dealers.

The bill authorizing the Wisconsin coin provided that not more than 25,000 should be coined and these of one mint, and this relatively small issue will tend to skyrocket its value.

At $1.50 Each

A special staff, under the directions of John Callahan, has been working for several months filling orders for coins as fast as they came in.

Collectors wanting a Wisconsin Centennial coin can receive one within a week by writing John Callahan, state superintendent of public instruction, state capitol, Madison. Only orders accompanied by check or money order will be filled. The price is $1.50 per coin. Add seven cents for postage for the first coin, and two cents for each additional one ordered.

The original design was made by David Parsons, university art student who used the first territorial seal and the familiar badger as his motif. This was developed and prepared for minting by Benjamin Hawkins, famous New York sculptor.”2

2. The Wisconsin State Journal, Highly Valuable To Collectors, Collectors World Over Order Centennial Coins. Madison, Sunday, Aug. 9, 1936.

“Declared by United States mint and treasury officials one of the most beautiful commemorative coins ever produced, the Wisconsin territorial centennial 50 cent piece is in Madison and is being distributed to those who ordered them.

One of the most beautiful? Oh the lies they had to tell to save face. I think dull or boring would be better descriptions. (No offense to you WI people.)

My apologies Lee. Besides this hobby, I'm also passionate about Muskie fishing.

No apologies needed. I like to fish also. Never caught anything that big though.

Sounds like a good time mumu.

(thumbs u

“Declared by United States mint and treasury officials one of the most beautiful commemorative coins ever produced, the Wisconsin territorial centennial 50 cent piece is in Madison and is being distributed to those who ordered them.

One of the most beautiful? Oh the lies they had to tell to save face. I think dull or boring would be better descriptions. (No offense to you WI people.)

No offense taken. You are correct but at least it pertains to early Wisconsin, unlike other "stories."

Orders pouring in from every corner of the civilized world for Wisconsin Centennial Commemorative half dollars have given the offices of the state department of public instruction the appearance of the banking department, its next door neighbor in the state cipitol [sic].

Congress authorized the minting of 25,000 50-cent pieces to commemorate the state’s territorial centennial, and before the coins arrived in Madison advance mail orders for more than 15,000 of them had been received and new ones are coming in at the rate of about 100 a day. Last week only a few thousand were left.

What causes the clamor for a mere piece of legal tender?

In the first place the small size of the issue will skyrocket the price far above the selling price of $1.50 within a year. There are more than 25,000 coin collectors in the United States alone, and when the tardy ones find the issue is sold out they will be willing to pay a premium for one. The Rhode Island commemorative coin, issued this spring, now sells for $8 to $10.

Many students of American history collect commemorative coins as historical relics of important events in American history.

Add to this the demands of foreign collectors and the relatively small Wisconsin issue will soon be for sale only by speculators.

To give every interested Wisconsin citizen a chance to buy one of the famous Badger half dollars, the state centennial committee is refusing to sell to dealers in more than small lots for another month.

Last week orders were received from the Museum of the Philippines, and from the new Museum of Lithuania, established this year as a center for the entire Balkan area. Canada has been one of the best buyers of this coin, but within the past few days orders have come from the steamship Indiana, from Puerto Rico, Canal Zone, and Australia. Mrs. Donald Richburg, wife of the former NRA director, is one of the collectors who has sent for a Wisconsin coin.

The design of the coin has received high praise from artists and experts. ‘Wisconsin has abandoned the stereotyped,’ wrote one collector ‘and has produced a truly historical coin at last.’

Collectors wanting a coin should write to John Callahan, state superintendent of public instruction, state capitol, Madison. Send $1.50 for each coin, plus 7 cents for postage and insurance on the first coin, and two cents for each additional coin.3

3. The Sheboygan Press, Great Demand Arises For Wisconsin Centennial Coin, Wednesday, August 26, 1936.

Not a whole lot left to post on this thread as it pertains to the Wisconsin Half Dollar. The Commission of Fine Arts was the go/no go for the Commission's, sculptor's and the U.S. Mint. You had to please them to get your coin approved so I feel it's important to state what they thought about this design:

Courtesy of the U. S. Commission of Fine Arts

Minutes of Meeting held in New York City, May 28, 1936.

The following members were present:

Mr. Moore, Chairman,

Mr. Howells,

Mr. Lawrie,

Mr. Savage,

Mr. Borie,

Mr. Shepley,

Also Mr. H. P. Caemmerer, Secretary and Executive Officer.

Wisconsin Centennial Coin: Mr. Benjamin Hawkins submitted models for the Wisconsin Centennial Coin. The obverse showed the territorial seal of Wisconsin and the reverse a beaver and an olive branch and arrows taken from the United States Seal. Mr. Lawrie thought the work well done although the models had not been finally completed. The models need refining, including the lettering.

The Commission approved the models subject to their final completion by Mr. Hawkins, whereupon he is to send them direct to the Director of the Mint. (The models were received from the Director of the Mint on June 3, 1936, and approved. (Exhibit A)

Exhibit A

June 5, 1936.

Dear Mrs. Ross:

Your letter of June 3 has been received. The Commission of Fine Arts approves the models by Benjamin Hawkins for the memorial half-dollar to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Territorial Government of Wisconsin.

The models are herewith returned.

For the Commission of Fine Arts:

Respectfully yours,

(Signed) Charles Moore,

Chairman.

Hon. Nellie Tayloe Ross,

Director of the Mint,

Treasury Department,

Washington, D. C.

Stacks_Bowers1.jpg

Original three-piece set of 1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial half dollars, with original white cardboard tab-style holder and mailing envelope. Coins grade MS-64 to MS-65, each with lovely mint lustre and varying degrees of natural toning, two with overtones of russet and deep coppery orange, the last with brown and deep steel gray. The holder exhibits typical handling marks, but is nicely preserved. The original mailing envelope is likewise nicely cared for. Also included are two additional original mailing envelopes for the issue, both in typical condition with stamps remaining. (Total: 3 coins; 1 holder; 3 envelopes). Stacks Bowers Galleries.

wisconsin-12.jpg

Original Mailing Envelope, Dennison Style Holder (showing coins) and Name Card of issue. Image courtesy of an avid collector of the commemorative coin series who requests to remain anonymous; Photographer: BluCC Photo’s.

wisconsin-17.jpg

Original Mailing Envelope of issue with coin that came in the envelope. Image courtesy of an avid collector of the commemorative coin series who requests to remain anonymous; Photographer: BluCC Photo’s.

Stacks_Bowers2B.jpg

Courtesy Stacks Bowers Galleries.

Stacks_Bowers4.jpg

Wisconsin So-Called-Dollar. Medal commemorates 100th anniversary as territory, not State¬hood, Wisconsin having been admitted to Union May 29, 1848. Legislature created Wisconsin Centennial, Inc. 1933 with $500 appropriation, later increased. Celebration was state-wide, highlight being presentation of pageant, "Centennial Cavalcade of Wisconsin," in stadium of University of Wisconsin, Madison, June 27-July 5, 1936; "witnessed by at least 75,000 spectators."

This was official medal, sponsored and designed by Commis¬sion; 1,500 pieces struck in Bronze; sold for $1.

Obv. Capitol building, clouds behind; at base on small ribbon 1936; smaller edifice to l.; at base, on small ribbon 1836; above all, around Wisconsin Territorial Centennial; below all is prone animal (badger?) on dotted line.

Rev. Eagle in upper center panel; to l. 19 / June / 27, to r. 36 / July / 5; above at border Madison; below panel Official / Wisconsin /Centennial / Celebration; stars all around at border. HK-696 Bronze. 37mm., Scarce.

Cornelius Vermeule writes: Like the Old Spanish Trail half dollar, the coin of 1936 that marks the 100th anniversary of Wisconsin’s formation as a territory smacks of amateurism (fig. 209). The models were the work of an art student at the University of Wisconsin, and the finished design was made by Benjamin Hawkins, and artist in New York. This half dollar of the United States is, as a work of art, little more than a high school medal of the dullest variety. As a visual experience, it ranks with some of the worst local-society or small-occasion medals, which have timelessness only in the mediocre level of their art.

The obverse is a historical reference expressed in terms of obscure animal symbolism. The reverse, the Great Seal of the territory of Wisconsin, looks like the illustration on a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda. Nothing inspiring, or even comprehensible, comes through in the design, which is just a hodgepodge of inscriptions and symbols. The heavy lettering and lumpy relief exude an aura of crudity and unappealing, gauche primitivism. Neither simplicity nor imagination appears in this coin. Why, for instance, need the inscription from the Great Seal be painfully written out on the reverse, even to the spelling out of ANNO DOMINI? Use of all the statutory inscriptions on the obverse is more than this trifling little mélange of symbols can bear.6

6. Numismatic Art In America; Aesthetics of the United States Coinage, 2nd edition, Cornelius Vermeule, Whitman Publishing, LLC, 2007, p. 180-181.

I hope you enjoyed a little history this week.

P1000096_zps681bcab4.jpg

Very Nice!!

:applause:

Hmmm..is that the bait? Mighty small. Are Muskie a kind of minnow or anchovy? Are they sold in little flat metal cans with a roll-back lid?

How in the world did I miss this post!!!!!! I'm from Wisconsin! Incidently, I love this post and the Wisconsin commemorative. Since I am from Wisconsin one of these commemoratives graces my collection. Lambeau Field is an awesome place and on a day they were playing the Vikings in 10 degree weather I found one of the fans in the bleacher ahead of me in my lap and drunk! Seems she smuggled in some of those miniature bottles of booze. I also own a share of Green Bay Packers stock. Well I grew up in Kohler, Wisconsin not far from Sheboygan and I have these national currency notes from Sheboygan and the state capital of Madison.

Gary

16546.jpg

Hmmm..is that the bait? Mighty small. Are Muskie a kind of minnow or anchovy? Are they sold in little flat metal cans with a roll-back lid?

Yeah, that one is only 42". Not one of my largest, but it was sure fun to catch. Here's one that is 49":

49inchmuskie%202001_zpsjlzaz71c.jpg

Thanks Lee. That was my first big muskie. It was a miserable fishing day up to that point: bluebird skies, very little wind and very warm. This one was caught in the back of a very large bay. Needless to say, it made my day.