• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tough Uruguay coin in MS

10 posts in this topic

My first purchase in over a year. Hoping 2015 gets me back into the hobby at some point, Wasn't really looking to buy just yet but ran across a coin you don't find graded too often. I think a raw one I have is a 65 shot and much "redder" than this piece, but since part of learning how to grade is to look at other graded coins, I decided I needed to see one with a grade.

EBAYFOREIGN779.jpg

EBAYFOREIGN780.jpg

Beautiful design, and welcome back. Congrats on your first coin purchase of 2015!

Thanks, apparently there is a proof of these and a gold strike. So more coins ill eventually want some day.

Beautiful design, and welcome back. Congrats on your first coin purchase of 2015!

Thanks, apparently there is a proof of these and a gold strike. So more coins ill eventually want some day.

Than panther/cougar design reminds me of the 1967 Canada quarter dollar. And, the obverse looks very much like a french design I have on an Essai piece (pictured below). Were these minted in Uruguay or somewhere in Europe?

-Brandon

1950_Algeria_100F_Essai_NGC_MS66_composite_zps6e51dd5b.jpg

That's an awesome design!

The coins were minted in Paris, and for the centennial celebration there were designs for the 5 peso, 20 cent and 10 cents by the French medal/coin artists Bazor,Turin, and Morlon respectively--and their work is seen on several other coins and medals of the era.

All three had essais done in bronze and gold with mintages of 70 and 60. I haven't seen too many of the essais in either metal, but was fortunate to get one of the gold ones several years ago.

In 1936 the size of the 10 cent was reduced, but still an aluminum-bronze alloy, and the 'centavo rio de 1930' was removed from the design. The 1936 coins were minted in Austria and there are some unlisted proofs running around--apparently they were sold years ago by a long time Austrian mint employee who had quite a collection.

I recently obtained a copy of 'El Regimen Monetario Del Uruguay 1829-1955' which has been a little hard for me to read as I never actually took a Spanish class. But so far this has confirmed (and was probably the source material) for what little I knew about the 1930-1936 coins.

Mumu--Was that one on eBay recently? I was tempted by one but missed the auction close.

Well, I can't take pictures, and these were a couple subpar ones I had taken for my coins I stuck in the sdp. I was going for inventory, not looks...though I tried to tweak them a bit for exposure and whatnot.

85BA82D5-204C-4995-964D-2FCD6C91ED63_zpsf2iepv2h.jpg

2783E846-16CB-4CC5-BA9B-C430DC1A4D7C_zpsxv4lz0vm.jpg

F60DAE8F-C9E0-4A89-B8CB-60998524FBBC_zpsifplorkk.jpg

I have to say, in addition to loving the design, there is a thrill for having a coin that only 59 other people (theoretically) have too.