• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two more coins go into PCGS plastic.

16 posts in this topic

They were nice NGC graded coins. Why not ? Straight cross with none of that crack out stuff. One did not make it though.

The coins, 1920D MS64 and a 1926D MS65 Merc Dimes. The miss, a 1928S MS64

Cheers.

Ken

Two more coins go into PCGS plastic. They were nice NGC graded coins. Why not ?

I think the real question is why? If they were all nice coins in NGC holders already why spend more money just to have them in PCGS holders? And is the '28s any less nice now that it didn't cross to PCGS?

John

I think the real question is why? If they were all nice coins in NGC holders already why spend more money just to have them in PCGS holders? And is the '28s any less nice now that it didn't cross to PCGS?

I agree...UNLESS....Fairlaneman is selling the coins. Often you can get better money for PCGS coins. Since these are Merc Dimes I'd venture to guess FLM isn't selling. Therefore, I don't seen ANY need to blow money on submissions, IMO. confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

congrats on your cross thumbsup2.gif

myself i think if the coins are great and are white/lusterous they actually look better in the white holder and are worth the same amount of money at least to me

but still a good cross as if someone is doing a pcgs registry set they need the coin in the pcgs holder to put in the pcgs registry

michael

A couple of replys.

Bad management has nothing to do with a reason a coin is purchased or put into a certain companys slab for me.

Maybe it was a waste of money but in my way of thinking the market, and I will say right now, accepts PCGS graded coins at the coins real value. With that said the change of plastic just for the 20D paid for the whole submission which also has five other coins. JOM was correct, these are not for sale right now. Possibly when they are for sale maybe the market status between the two different slabs could change which could make this switch of slabs a waste of money.

The three coins are nicely toned. They look better in PCGS slabs, my opinion, and they certainly photograph better. Yes they were needed for a PCGS registry set, A meager set.

Last but not least. No, the 28S isnot less worthy just because it did not cross.

Cheers

Ken

Well, I didn't really mean it's a waste of money. Michael was right...if you are doing a PCGS registry OR you are selling soon then I can see the reasoning for a submission. Otherwise, I'd prefer just to defer any costs to those TPG's. I'd rather have the money now for more coins.

When I sell any of my coins I will certainly look into "maxing" out any coins I have...why not? Everyone else does it... confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

When I sell any of my coins I will certainly look into "maxing" out any coins I have...why not? Everyone else does it...

How exactly will you do that? And what impact, if any, does your response have on comments made above regarding Fairlaneman's decision to try and cross his coins?

How exactly will you do that? And what impact, if any, does your response have on comments made above regarding Fairlaneman's decision to try and cross his coins?

1) Many times PCGS graded coins go for more money. Sometimes not. I will certainly evaluate that when the time comes....which may very well be after PCGS is no longer in existance. Who knows?

2) As to it's relation to this thread Fairlaneman said:

...but in my way of thinking the market, and I will say right now, accepts PCGS graded coins at the coins real value.

So...there you go.

jom

Nothing personal against anyone who replied to this thread, but a number of the replies to this thread refer to how PCGS coins are often valued higher than coins in NGC holders. Why is this so? In my opinion it is due to two reasons.

First is the fact that PCGS will only allow coins in their holders into their registry.

This means that anyone who wants to have a PCGS registry set has to buy PCGS graded coins only. This automatically causes an artificial ‘rarity’ premium. For instance, if for arguments sake there are 1,000 coins of a particular issue graded by PCGS and NGC combined, and each has 500 of the coins in their holders, the person participating in the NGC registry has a pool of 1,000 coins to choose from, but the PCGS registry participant has only 500.

The second reason is the widespread perception that PCGS has nicer coins in their holders, but in my opinion this is a self fulfilling prophecy and this thread is a perfect example. There are nice coins in NGC holders also, but if every time a collector buys a nice coin in an NGC holder they cross it to PCGS for whatever reason, that’s one less nice coin in an NGC holder.

Did that NGC coin magically change once placed into the PCGS holder? No, but now that it is in a PCGS holder some will pay more for the same coin. Not too smart in my opinion.

This is why I decided a long time ago to participate in the NGC registry only. I don’t want to have to buy only PCGS coins or worry about if a nice problem free coin will cross. confused-smiley-013.gif

JMHO

John

This is why I decided a long time ago to participate in the NGC registry only. I don’t want to have to buy only PCGS coins or worry about if a nice problem free coin will cross.

I have, what I believe, is a better solution. I simply don't participate in a registry. grin.gif

jom

I have, what I believe, is a better solution. I simply don't participate in a registry. grin.gif

jom

That's because there is no registry that allows AT coins in them.

That's because there is no registry that allows AT coins in them.

Hey...C'mon! I put many hours of effort into those coins. I can't help it if PCGS graded the damn things. It's not my fault!! confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

I have only ever crossed three coins over for any service, and all at a customer's request. One was from ANACS to PCGS with no problems, the other was two ICG proof Franklins to PCGS, with each coin crossing basically one point lower. Personally, I would never cross a coin, even for resale purposes. If I don't think I can sell a coin based on the coin's merits, then I'd rather just not ever own it at all!

Actually, I'm trying right now to cross a SEGS MS-62 to NGC, but I don't necessarily consider that a straight crossover attempt, because the coin needs NCS curation first.

James

Of course there are nice coins in NGC holders. Up untill a year or so ago the nicer graded Mercs were for sure in PCGS holders. Since then it appears that a different standard has been optioned for by NGC and some really nice Mercs are showing up. Who knows, maybe they are coins that have been crossed from PCGS holders. As far as limiting yourself to only 500 of the 1000 coins that are available. Not real smart IMO. The learning curve that has went from buying both to buying only PCGS and now back to buying both certainly taught me some lessons.

A little history about the two coins that crossed. The 20D was seen on a Web Site about a year and a half ago as a NGC MS65 coin. At that time I tried to buy the coin. No response so it was forgot about. Then one day this coin pops up on Ebay with a so so picture and in a NGC MS64 holder. A quick comparison proved that the coin was the same one in both venues and it was purchased because no other person would enter a bid. Anyway this coin was a sure cross IMO because it had already been Maxed down by NGC themselves.

The 26D was also a coin that had been in different holders. First PCGS and then in a NGC holder at the same grade. I believe after it was put into the NGC holder it was tried for cross at PCGS again but I could be wrong about this. If so a Forum Member can straighten this part out. It was sent in because first, I cannot get a good picture of the coin, and that is something I really want, and second, I really wanted to see what PCGS would do with the coin now.

As far as crossing just for Registry sake. Hmmm...I already have another 20D so that was no biggie at all. On the 26D. No big deal. The darn coin is just nice and another could be found if I went Registry Crazy again.

Ken

I'm fairly certain they must be nice coins, Ken, do you have pictures you might be able to share with us? smile.gif

As for crossing the coins, well, they're your coins, your money and your reasons for doing it and that is good enough for me.