• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Try your luck

19 posts in this topic

Looks 64 to me. Hard to tell by pics but could possibly be PL.

If I was to look too hard, something looks odd on the obv and I might say "altered surfaces" .

I would say 66 from what I think I can see. It could be PL but 81-S are common with that look, which makes me wonder if they would give this one a star instead of a PL..... Looks like a very nice coin to me.

This coin actually was returned by PCGS as Details, Damaged. The only damage evident on the coin it that tiny tick on the cheek. Since I bought it in a lot with others where it cost about $30 I thought as a lock MS 64 it was worth the grading fees.

Clearly the biggest disappointment thus far this year.

The lesson here (for me) is that carefully watching out for coins with hairlines isn't enough. If the Graders don't like a coin for any reason it will not straight grade. Accordingly, I'm going to prepare a checklist that will include items like hairlines, color, damage etc. and examine every coin to ensure there is nothing to dislike. They are clearly becoming unreasonably picky IMO.

This coin actually was returned by PCGS as Details, Damaged. The only damage evident on the coin it that tiny tick on the cheek. Since I bought it in a lot with others where it cost about $30 I thought as a lock MS 64 it was worth the grading fees.

The lesson here (for me) is that carefully watching out for coins with hairlines isn't enough. If the Graders don't like a coin for any reason it will not straight grade. Accordingly, I'm going to prepare a checklist that will include items like hairlines, color, damage etc. and examine every coin to ensure there is nothing to dislike. They are clearly becoming unreasonably picky IMO.

I'm just curious, but why would you think an MS64 lock 1881-S Morgan dollar would be worth grading fees? The 1881-S is one of the most common high grade Morgans of the entire series, and worth barely as much as the grading fees + shipping + insurance to get it to PCGS. Just wondering...

Wow! Was not even considering that. Although I never considered you sending in a extremely common date Morgan only expecting a MS64 either.

Sorry to hear those results and I hope you fared better on the other submissions. I personally think there are way too many outside influences that are far beyond your control that any attempts to create a system to beat 'The House' with such a subjective process as coin grading is a waste of time.

I wish you luck on future submissions and your checklist success.

I' surprised this didn't get a clean grade. Your pictures must not show the "tick" very well. I see what might be a deeper contact mark on the lower jaw that isn't shown to well, but I'm just stunned that you received a details grade based on the pictures.

I've seen many Morgan's with bigger scars make it into 65 holders.

Edited: for grammar

Follow up time.

Coin in hand, I can now see some vertical lines behind Ms Liberty's head. What I took for die polish lines they felt was "machine damage" according to the holder's description.

There are definitely marks there, fair enough, just sucks to be me.

To re-cap, I felt the coin was a lock MS 64 which means that on a great day it gets MS 65. Worth the gamble. Machine damage was something I never considered.

My only question would be what kind of machine does an uncirculated coin come in contact with? This was a first.

Follow up time.

Coin in hand, I can now see some vertical lines behind Ms Liberty's head. What I took for die polish lines they felt was "machine damage" according to the holder's description.

There are definitely marks there, fair enough, just sucks to be me.

To re-cap, I felt the coin was a lock MS 64 which means that on a great day it gets MS 65. Worth the gamble. Machine damage was something I never considered.

My only question would be what kind of machine does an uncirculated coin come in contact with? This was a first.

Perhaps it went through a counting machine.