• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre 1982 copper cents

4 posts in this topic

I go through a box of pennies about every week. I usually just keep Canadians, Wheats, Indian heads, or anything else interesting. I was wondering if it would be worth is to pull out the pre-1982's? I know that they sell on eBay for more than face value. I was just wondering would be worth the time it to pull the copper pennies and resell them on eBay?

Many years ago, when there was a lot of discussion about hoarding copper cents, I decided to call every reclamation center in the state of Florida to determine what the value would be for these copper cents. Granted, it is currently illegal to melt them, but the response I got from every reclamation center was the same.........

Because the copper cent is not pure Grade A copper, it is only worth about 25% of the Grade A copper price.

I'm not sure of the exact number, but it takes about 145 cents to equal a pound of copper. So, with the current price of Grade A copper at $2.56, the reclamation value of these 145 cents is only 64c. Is this practice the same in every state? I don't know, but if it is anything close, you do the math.

Chris

I go through a box of pennies about every week. I usually just keep Canadians, Wheats, Indian heads, or anything else interesting. I was wondering if it would be worth is to pull out the pre-1982's? I know that they sell on eBay for more than face value. I was just wondering would be worth the time it to pull the copper pennies and resell them on eBay?

eBay, PAYPAL and USPS will all be glad to help you with your business -how much is your time worth?