• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I am Certified Holder Agnostic

12 posts in this topic

as long as its NGC or PCGS ....

First, congrats to all NGC Registry Award Winners -- WELL DONE !

In the IT word, when you are technology agnostic it means that you are open to buying computing components that work with each other without any special adaptation. In the coin world I consider myself HOLDER AGNOSTIC as long as the certified coin is housed in a NGC or PCGS holder, with the lone exception being that I will also purchase the old ANACS small holder coins when opportunity knocks.

I thus consider the NGC registry to be agnostic on the US issues as it allows both of the two major brands to be listed with equal registry value, this being a big plus for me, as 1- I can see how the entirety of my sets are scored and 2- it fits with my philosophy of buying the coin, not the holder.

At the FUN show I was in attendance when PCGS previewed its new search engine tool that was positioned to allow for more efficient searching for collectors, and was clearly aimed at PCGS registry set participants. True, if all you are collecting is PCGS holders, but for me the tool covers half the marketplace.

I fully realize there are many loyalists to both brands and that is certainly the choice of each collector to collect only one of the brands, but for me, I am buying coins, not holders, and certainly not registry rankings and points.

Happy collecting and much success in 2015 to all !

Rich

See more journals by RichH

+1 (thumbs u

I wonder if there is a yearly submission coin count total for the 3 different top grading companies. That would be neat to see a graph in their grading count competition over the past 40 years.

Rick

I think the hobby is called "coin collecting" and not "plastic coin holders with bits of colored paper in them collecting."

The new PCGS "tool" seems to be nothing more than another way for PCGS to narrow the vision of collectors.

TPGs are in this business to make money, but NGC has always seemed more collector-centric to me. Superb customer service and online tools free for all (e.g., the Collection Manager and the Krause online catalogs), just to name a couple things. Furthermore, so many of the recent historic large collections going with NGC as their TPG of choice has certainly been enlightening to me.

I have purchased individual raw coins for > $1,000, and to protect them for posterity I will always send them to NGC -- not PCGS. It's a no brainer for me. (shrug)

Exactly RWB.

When at PCGS luncheon I was struck by comments at my table by those who only collect PCGS, see similar comments for NGC on this board, I just don't get it.

Bottom line, I have enough problems finding great coins without eliminating approx. half the marketplace.

Case in point, as just one example, pulled this nice 1886 Liberty Seated Dime from Gerry Fortin's table at FUN after lots of searching, pic does it no justice, love it for my 19th Century Type Set. I feel its under graded by NGC at MS62. Can't fathom after finding this beauty thinking "oh, its in an NGC holder, that's a show stopper", or " OK but now I need to crossover"

152489.jpg.e48c2580c7b4f2a35fdefd774a7010f8.jpg

Agree with pretty much everything here! I was discouraged by the PCGS luncheon announcement mostly because I had hoped that they might finally be allowing NGC coins even if they weren't scored. The search tool is a neat feature but as mentioned it only really shows half of what is out there.

I wish there was a third party registry that would allow all coins and score them accordingly.

Bottom line, I have enough problems finding great coins without eliminating approx. half the marketplace.

This says it all and truly is the bottom line. Coins are tough enough to find. When we are FORTUNATE enough to have TWO quality TPGS, a person would be an utter FOOL to utilize just one in their registry quest. I simply cannot find everything that I need in strictly NGC OR strictly PCGS holders. Period. Kudos to NGC for being smart, having a vision and for being collector-compatible. This is why I love NGC! Also, great OP, Rich!

This says it all and truly is the bottom line. Coins are tough enough to find. When we are FORTUNATE enough to have TWO quality TPGS, a person would be an utter FOOL to utilize just one in their registry quest. I simply cannot find everything that I need in strictly NGC OR strictly PCGS holders. Period. Kudos to NGC for being smart, having a vision and for being collector-compatible. This is why I love NGC! Also, great OP, Rich!

+1 (thumbs u

You guys have perfectly articulated my sentiments on this issue.

Gary

A review of NGC and PCGS population reports indicates that approximately one third of the Top Pop and Condition Census U.S. Philippine coins are certified by NGC and two thirds by PCGS. Assembling a high end collection of U.S. Philippine coins is challenging enough without limiting yourself to a particular brand of plastic.

I am grateful that NGC allows both NGC and PCGS certified coins in their competitive U.S. Philippine Registry Sets. In my opinion that makes the NGC Registry far superior to the PCGS Registry.

While NGC and PCGS have equally high grading standards I feel that NGC is far more in touch with collector needs. NGC has great customer service, a more collector centric registry policy, and great features such as their Custom Registry Sets, Collectors Society Journals, and Collection Manager software. For this reason I send all of my raw coins to NGC.

When it comes to purchasing certified coins I buy the coin not the holder. Pragmatically that is really the only sensible choice given the rarity of most GEM quality U.S. Philippine Mint State and Proof coins. Top Pop and Condition Census U.S. Philippine coins do not appear in dealer inventories or major auctions often enough that a serious collector can afford to pass up a great coin based upon whether it is in a NGC or PCGS holder.

Completely agree....The biggest bummer I have felt with both registries is that neither will except the others coins in their registries (99% of collection is world coins). Both say the registries are for the collectors to share their coins with other fellow collectors, but it turns out registries are not for the collectors rather it is for serving their on personal interest, and their waging struggle for claiming who is the best.

Unfortunately at some level it works. I catch myself favoring NGC graded coins over PCGS. First because 98% of collection is NGC graded coins, and second I send all my raw coins into NGC because they are cheaper, and I don't want to hold two memberships. So unfortunately if it comes down to two coins that I like I will pick the one in the NGC holder over one I may have slightly favored in the PCGS holder.