• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My FUN coin (In a Manner of Speaking)

18 posts in this topic

While I didn't attend the FUN show, I can almost bet this coin I bought on E-Bay was there. A week ago on Saturday, I bought an 1806 Half-Cent the seller had put on sale that I had been watching on E-Bay. Since then I had discovered from Charmy's report that the seller had a table at FUN. Another tip-off was that the coin did not ship until Tuesday since the seller would have had to get back into the groove of things after attending a big show like FUN.

At any rate, I've been on the prowl for early coppers for my 7070 Type Set for quite some time. After going through a lot of listings, I discovered that attractive early coppers are kind of scarce. However, while my coin is not without it's drawbacks, it is well struck and attractive. Furthermore, XF-45 is an affordable grade for this coin. In AU this coin gets much more expensive.

Gary

rXRfdoXHSxu5m4bZEpEs_1806_Half_Cent-A.jpg

It's too big, Gary! Almost half of it fell into the Grand Canyon.

Chris

I know! Geez! I tried out that new coin collectors posting site ( collectivecoin.com ) and I linked my image there. As you can see, l got more than I bargained for!

Gary

Chris

I know! Geez! I tried out that new coin collectors posting site ( collectivecoin.com ) and I linked my image there. As you can see, l got more than I bargained for!

Gary

Is that the site that was advertised on CT by those two newcomers?

Chris

Chris

Gary

Chris

Chris, I don't know about that, but here's the link to the post on these boards.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8304033#Post8304033

Gary

Chris

Gary

Chris

Chris, I don't know about that, but here's the link to the post on these boards.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8304033#Post8304033

Gary

Yeah, that's one! He's got a buddy helping him.

Chris

Nice acquisition!
it has NO drawbacks at all

I like it (thumbs u

good color, surfaces and very good eye appeal

this little half sister is a really historic coin

I like this coin. Half cents are great coins. Congratulations on your purchase.
I'm also looking for a half cent for my Type Set and would be happy to own this one. Congratulations.

Thank you all for your comments on my half cent.Though I have liked this coin from the first, I must admit that I have been much too critical of the green corrosion spots on this coin. After all the surfaces are really nice and the coin is well struck accounting for the sharp looking devices. On top of that the chocolate brown toning is very attractive. In fact, every time I look at my coin, I find that I like it more and more. Now it is setting the standard for me to locate the other early coppers I need to complete my set.

Perhaps as a collector of Coder Tokens, I made the mistake of trying to match the quality of the tokens I see regularly posted on these boards by collectors like brg5658 and Yarm to US early coppers. While early coppers of MS quality do exist, they are very expensive to acquire meaning that I need to settle for something less than MS. Furthermore, I have come to realize that comparing early coppers to Conders is like comparing apples and oranges.

In this coin I have an attractive coin for an affordable grade that I'm very happy to own. One of my next challenges will be to find a nice looking VF Draped Bust Large Cent!

Gary

Man that is a giant picture Gary.Thats like 5 scrolls on my Iphone.

The half cent is nice. That little bit of green isn't hurting the eye appeal of the coin one bit.

You aiming to fill that last half cent hole or one of the cent holes next?

I like this coin. Half cents are great coins. Congratulations on your purchase.

I agree and like this coin. Also welcome back Mike King. :hi:

Greetings! Good to be back.