• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Went to FUN got some coin

24 posts in this topic

I started my FUN adventure with a nice gulf coast flight that landed on time on Thursday about noon. I was whisked to the convention center by taxi and immediately went to lot view for the gold in the Heritage auction on Friday. After viewing the gold for a couple hours, I decided not to bid on anything.

Once on the floor, I found a few things Thursday through Saturday to bring home and others to submit to NGC for grading. I visited with many dealers I knew. Tom Bush and I had a discussion about a 'funny' draped bust dime I had. Charmy and I talked about Conders while I pondered her inventory. Talked to Rich Uhrich about a coin that went for 4x MV that I bid 2x on and was blown out of the water - Rich bought it for a client and said it was very rare for the die state, had I known... etc. etc., talked to alot of people and it was fun as usual.

The highlights of the show for me was going to the NGC and PCGS luncheons, and dinner at Maggiano's one night and a pub the other nite with some of the boys. Lotsa good coin talk at these events.

I did win one coin in the Heritage auction, I link to it here, it is much better in hand than the images:

http://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-quarters/1853-25c-arrows-and-rays-au58-pcgs-cac-pcgs-population-102-379-ngc-census-136-442-mintage-15-210-020-numismedia/a/1216-10006.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013

I will post things I bought as I image them and as they get back from NGC grading. Below is one more that was on the bourse, was grabbed by a dealer friend, and I bought it from him after the show. The white streaks on the slab, not the coin.

Best, HT

1821qtrNGCXF45CAC_zps5ae61050.jpg

Thanks flatie, messy and Robie, here is a nice dove gray, each side having a slightly different dove gray tone, bust quarter I got from Vic Bozarth at FUN. Vic is a fantastic dealer and numismatic citizen. He has a really bright YN helping at his table that goes to a local university in Tejas. Anyway, I went bust quarter crazy at FUN, more to come.

Best, HT

1834qtrPCGSXF45CAC2_zps4ce0ef76.jpg

Love the Bust Quarters....the 34 reminds me of my 31...similar grade and just that tad of color.

jom

Larry, as requested, bought this VF set in a Wayte Raymond holder. Had to take each side in 4 shots on my macro at 85 cm height above the photostand base. Still debating whether to send them in for grading or not......

Best, HT

BustQuartersRaymondHolder_zpsa078ede0.jpg

BustQuartersRaymondHolderR_zpsbf1b1986.jpg

Thanks Larry, Still not sure whether to send all of them in for grading - just to have a grading set.

Here are my grades:

1831 Bust Quarter, SL B4 VF25

1831 Bust Quarter, LL B6 VF30

1832 Bust Quarter, B1 VF25

1833 Bust Quarter, B1 VF25

1834 Bust Quarter B3 VF20

1834 Bust Quarter O over F B1 XF40

1835 Bust Quarter B1 VF25

1836 Bust Quarter B-3 VF20

1837 Bust Quarter, B2 VF35

1838 Bust Quarter, B1 VF30

Anyone feel free to present your grade for any of them. I realize it is hard to grade from small images, but I can post larger ones if anyone is interested. Please note that the 1831 LL may not grade because it looks cleaned in hand.

Best, HT

Just at a glance the 34 is clearly the highest grade. Too bad about the 31 LL as it seemed to have some nicer toning.

jom

Here is my other after FUN coin snagged from a dealer who got this off the FUN floor and then to me. Totally rich surfaces, lots of gunk indicating in has not been messed with, and properly graded by our hosts, who have the best grading team in the buisness. Color is typical of many CC gold coins, where the alloy mix contained more sliver than in the southern mint coins, hence a lighter golden color as they age.

Best, HT

1884CC.HalfEagle.NGC.AU55.CAC_zpsouv2a1af.jpg

Here is my final coin from FUN. Just received from Heritage. The image below is a touch juiced compared to the HA image - which is a scan probably and with subdued contrast. The 1853 arrows quarter is super common, although not as much as a say 1909-S VDB penny or a l916-D dime, but it is a type coin in demand for the arrows variety. This one stands out with its toning, and in hand, strong luster that is not captured in my image. I viewed this in hand at lot viewing and the eye appeal is what prompted me to give this one a strong bid. And, JA approved it, what is not to like? (shrug)

Best, HT

1853.qtr.PCGS.AU58.CAC_zpsncmmhhjk.jpg