• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you do with your old Red Books?

17 posts in this topic

My girlfriend surprised me this morning with a new 2015 Red Book to update my old 2012 copy. Just curious what you guys do with old copies. Keep them as a price increase/decrease reference? Recycle? Sell on eBay? Donate to a coin club so they have extras on hand? Draw mustaches on every picture of Liberty?

If any of the newbies here want a copy with slightly out of date pricing, shoot me a PM and it's yours for the cost of shipping.

My girlfriend surprised me this morning with a new 2015 Red Book to update my old 2012 copy. Just curious what you guys do with old copies. Keep them as a price increase/decrease reference? Recycle? Sell on eBay? Donate to a coin club so they have extras on hand? Draw mustaches on every picture of Liberty?

If any of the newbies here want a copy with slightly out of date pricing, shoot me a PM and it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Have kept everyone of them, even the Blue Books. OCD....

I have several hundred Red Books from 2006 to 2008 that I would love to sell but the shipping is more than the value of the books.

I have given away a few hundred over the years.

I used to try to collect them myself. My oldest is 1958 and latest is 2007. lol Wtg Bill!! That was my goal also. lol

I got lucky when I got my core set. There was a dealer who upgraded to complete set of Red Books in Mint State, and he offered his "circulated set" on a consignment basis at JJ Teaparty many years ago. I bought that set, and sold off the duplicates that I had.

The great think about is set is that there are a lot of Red Books in the 1970s that had poor bindings that fell apart. All of his books were intact. They are still intact, but I am very careful when I open them. hm

But do you have a signed copy of A Guide Book of the Official Red Book of United States Coins?

lol

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

For those that don't know, Treashunt wrote the book noted above on collecting Red Books.

I bring them to coin shows and give them out to the newbies.

Just about every show I attend, I run into folks completely new to the hobby that do not even know the basics, but seem eager to learn. I used to recommend they get the Red Book to get started as it has tons of good general info for the price and I'm sure some of them actually went out and bought a copy. Now, whenever I'm set up at a show, I always have copies ready to hand out to those I think could use one.

I give away 5-10 red books a year.

When I'm set up at a show and a kid asks questions about coins, I answer the questions and ask them if they have a Red Book..... If they don't I give them mine and buy a new one.