• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Coin artificially toned????

35 posts in this topic

Does this coin look like it has been artificially toned?

I understand its hard to tell from pictures, but I would like to hear people's opinion.

Rge68f0QayGtyprRlh5A_libr.jpg

I'm going with NT. I have numerous Libertads that have similar toning colors and I know for a fact these below came directly out of an original paper roll. Yours with a bull's-eye type toning pattern could perhaps be accounted for by having spent some time in an album.

152372.jpg.b72056c07aeb8c0eb1b5ea4b43803ea7.jpg

I'm not familiar with how this series is "supposed" to look, but I wouldn't think this color pattern is acceptable for most coins. The purple center of the obverse bothers me the most.

It is peripherally toned and uniform - I feel naturally toned from contact with something causing the toning pattern.

Did you get it in that holder with the white Styrofoam insert?

light blue/yellow, darker blue, purple is not a progression commonly seen with 90% silver coins but 99.8% silver is more reactive and tones quicker/easier.

I don't see any elevated chromatics which is bothersome. The coin is only 20 years old also, It's hard to believe that much color can be naturally created on a coin in just 20 years.

I'm guessing it won't get into a holder.

I would call it AT from that picture. The shape of the color is too uniformly concentric, and I don't care for the purple color that is in the inner ring.

As for the age of the coin, that is not always a clear indicator as to weather it is NT or not. It all depends on how the coin was stored and also what sort of residue chemicals might have been left on the piece from a prior dip or from the stuff the mint uses to clean planchets.

Years ago a club gave me a new, current American Silver Eagle for speaking before their organization. It was in one of those custom holders with velvet on the inside. When I got the piece it was the usual "white silver." Some months later I took out to look at it, and noticed that the reverse, which was against the velvet, had toned beautifully. "Wow" I thought. "If I flip this over maybe the obverse will tone like this, and I'll have one of those "monster toners" some collectors like so much." I flipped it, but nothing much happened to the obverse. The conclusion was there must have been something on the reverse that caused it to tone like that.

I don't know if it helps but the coin was given to me by a buddy who lives in Florida, who buy abandon storage units at auction. This coin was found in one of the auction units he bought. It was in a plastic Littleton select case.

I see this thread already heading down the rabbit hole.Thought a little quote from Kurtdog might apply here: " . . . you either like it or you don't like it . . . "

Just because a coin was stored in conditions that are generally acceptable and takes decades to tone doesn't automatically mean it will grade NT. Whether a coin grades NT and actually is NT are two different things. That coin has some characteristics of NT, but other characteristics of AT. The color progression is slightly off, beginning with purple rather than yellow. This is not unheard of, however. The target looks too perfect, that's a negative. Lack of elevation chromatics is a negative as well. The purple and teal color is part of the natural toning progression accepted as NT. However, in your example, they are a little brighter than is normal.

Since the series is 99.9% Silver it is comparable to American Silver Eagles. Being 99.9% Silver a little more grace is given than to 90% Silver, at least at PCGS, and I have seen bright purple ASEs in NT PCGS holders but not so much Mercs or Morgans.

In the long-winded explanation I am unable to say with 75%+ certainty your coin looks one or the other. It could go either way. I would say 55% AT/45% NT overall.

Just at a glance I'd say it was "odd" at best. There is no elevation chromatics...which is what I look for first.

But I think it should come down to whether you LIKE the coin....

jom

The colors look too concentric and perfect/smooth. The ring of purple bothers me. I also see no evidence of elevation chromatics. While the latter isn't necessarily dispositive, when considered with the other two factors, I lean towards artificially toned.

I will be the first to admit that my experience is... Limited at best. with that being said though... I feel strongly that this coin is... Artificially toned.

I also happen to feel that the conversation should stop being focused around AT versus NT, and more of, "hey, do you like the piece"? Do those colors on that coin, "do it for you"?

I will be the first to admit that my experience is... Limited at best. with that being said though... I feel strongly that this coin is... Artificially toned.

I also happen to feel that the conversation should stop being focused around AT versus NT, and more of, "hey, do you like the piece"? Do those colors on that coin, "do it for you"?

I'm all for discussions about things like "hey, do you like the piece"? Do those colors on that coin, "do it for you?". However, not to the exclusion of consideration of AT versus NT. Because if you do that, you potentially give a great deal more license, power and money to the coin doctors.

I've already posted my opinion on AT vs. NT, so I wanted to answer your question "hey do you like the piece?"

Simple answer for me is No, I don't. While I like the toned coins and the colors displayed on this coin, I don't like the even color bands. It just looks unnatural to me.

The precision of the toning might be cause for pause, but a 20 year old .999 silver coin toning in an album like this is not out of the question. I really don't know what's normal for silver Libertads, though.

The coin doctor did a masterful job on the piece. The use of vivid colors and perfect rings on both sides. The details on the reverse are in the spotlight with a golden hue, and a lot of thought went into hi-lighting the breasts to add a pleasing appearance. If you can get this coin in a slab, you have a winner.

The coin doctor did a masterful job on the piece. The use of vivid colors and perfect rings on both sides. The details on the reverse are in the spotlight with a golden hue, and a lot of thought went into hi-lighting the breasts to add a pleasing appearance. If you can get this coin in a slab, you have a winner.

It may have been a little better if you had started your opinion with " I think...". ;):whee:

If you've seen what Littleton holders do to coins you'd probably say that this con toned naturally with the assistance of artificial methods. Littleton holders will cause toning. This coin toned naturally via artificial means.

If you've seen what Littleton holders do to coins you'd probably say that this con toned naturally with the assistance of artificial methods. Littleton holders will cause toning. This coin toned naturally via artificial means.

I am not certain if this is just a follow on comment, or specifically directed toward me. Let me know if you would like a reply. :foryou:

I don't know if it helps but the coin was given to me by a buddy who lives in Florida, who buy abandon storage units at auction. This coin was found in one of the auction units he bought. It was in a plastic Littleton select case.

I would think the cardboard/paper in the littleton holder would be capable of giving the even tone on this coin. The high humidity of Florida definitely helps.

As to the purple toning, I have Morgans that were purchased in a colored cardboard and vinyl book. These were all New Orleans minted, picked up green, teal and purple toning. I would love to share the pics! The album was from the 50's or 60's I beleive. I found it at an auction and it had clearly not been touched for many years. It's rare, but purple can show up with different chemicals present.

It may have been a little better if you had started your opinion with " I think...". ;):whee:

It may have been a little better if you had started your opinion with "It would have been a little better..." :devil:

It may have been a little better if you had started your opinion with "It would have been a little better..." :devil:

Black's Law...May is permissive and expansive; Would is conclusive and not expansive.. :whee: