• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New PCI blue label......Anyone try crossing one over to NGC????

42 posts in this topic

I just bought an 1886 S Morgan and it is in the new PCI holder. Looks like a nice coin and I basically stole it for what I paid. Just wondering if anyone has tried to cross one of these over yet. Looks like PCI has been using these holders since 2012 when they were brought back from the dead again. Thanks! Nate

NGC only accepts coins graded by PCGS for crossover consideration. Something from PCI, NTC, ANACS etc. has to be cracked out and submitted as a raw coin.

That's my understanding.

Welcome to the boards.

I don't think PCI is back from the dead. Or maybe they died again.

The internet archive shows their website (reappeared) sometime between Dec 2012 and Feb 2013. Since then NOTHING has changed on their site.

All of the examples I've seen for sale are between 1710 and high 68xx or so.

I.e. maybe 6000 coins have been slabbed, They have the September 12, 2012 press release. And every coin is numbered "2012.02". The web contact form doesn't work...

all signs of a zombie.

Has anyone 1st hand knowledge / interactions with them in 2014?

I don't think PCI is back from the dead. Or maybe they died again.

The internet archive shows their website (reappeared) sometime between Dec 2012 and Feb 2013. Since then NOTHING has changed on their site.

All of the examples I've seen for sale are between 1710 and high 68xx or so.

I.e. maybe 6000 coins have been slabbed, They have the September 12, 2012 press release. And every coin is numbered "2012.02". The web contact form doesn't work...

all signs of a zombie.

Has anyone 1st hand knowledge / interactions with them in 2014?

HAHA love the zombie reference!

And, thanks for the welcome everyone else. My 1886-s morgan is 2012.02-5073 just for the record. I will throw a picture up asap, what is the easiest way to do that????

From what I have heard the PCI green label was the best while their gold ones were looser under the late Brian Beardsley, who I remember well at the Baltimore show as friendly and paying strong money for bullion and rolls of BU silver.

No real advantage going with PCI in my opinion, better than raw from biased sellers though.

I haven't handled the newer PCI holders you reference, but I have seen them on eBay. And even with crumby eBay photos, I could see very clear problems with the pieces. No coin graded as MS66 should have significant marks on the cheek nor should coins in problem free holders look cleaned or whizzed. I cannot say that your coin is a problem coin, however, without actually seeing it. Pictures would do wonders for this thread.

From what I have heard the PCI green label was the best while their gold ones were looser under the late Brian Beardsley, who I remember well at the Baltimore show as friendly and paying strong money for bullion and rolls of BU silver.

No real advantage going with PCI in my opinion, better than raw from biased sellers though.

There are even differences within the green label era, and moreover, someone revived them at some point. So, the PCI green holders with the Arial font (often there is a break in the reverse border) are optimistically graded. The coins with the font without the serifs tend to be more accurately graded. There were 10, 9, and 14 digit holders. The 10 digit holders were decent in my opinion. Some would cross and some labeled as PQ have upgraded. I believe the 14 digit holders tended to be okay through MS65. I believe the holders started going down by the 9 digit era and into the gold label era. And anything past that, I would need to see. But I have seen someone claiming to be PCI with newer slabs within the last couple years with blue labels as the OP described, and I am not a fan to say the least.

Didn't David Lawrence RCC sell the PCI name to someone?

David Lawrence owned/ran DGS, which took over the PCI business (and holders). I actually thought they were pretty good graders, but for some reason they couldn't compete with the big 2. They only lasted a year or 2, and then went out of business.

David Lawrence owned/ran DGS, which took over the PCI business (and holders). I actually thought they were pretty good graders, but for some reason they couldn't compete with the big 2. They only lasted a year or 2, and then went out of business.

He is asking about what happened to PCI after DGS closed. I do know that the PCI name was resurrected after DGS, but I am not sure who is responsible.

You are fast. I had a drunk driving my bicycle back to my room. :roflmao:

PCI has had two owners since DGS closed down. During the first reincarnation they reintroduced the green label holder with the 9 digit serial number. (Same as the first green label PCI) It used the same text font as the first PCI but the number font was the same as that used on the second generation 14 digit serial number slabs. These were being sold on ebay as the original old strictly graded PCI slabs. That owner lasted a very brief time. PCI was sold again in 2012 and they used a similar layout to what DGS used. I first saw them in Nov of 2012, and I have seen at least two different varieties, being differences in the back label/sticker. I don't know if they are still active.

PCI has had two owners since DGS closed down. During the first reincarnation they reintroduced the green label holder with the 9 digit serial number. (Same as the first green label PCI) It used the same text font as the first PCI but the number font was the same as that used on the second generation 14 digit serial number slabs. These were being sold on ebay as the original old strictly graded PCI slabs. That owner lasted a very brief time. PCI was sold again in 2012 and they used a similar layout to what DGS used. I first saw them in Nov of 2012, and I have seen at least two different varieties, being differences in the back label/sticker. I don't know if they are still active.

Do you have images of the two you have seen?

In addition to the one linked below, I saw one with a blue border and a shield that resembled the PCGS Secure logo (if my recollection is accurate).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1900-US-MORGAN-SILVER-DOLLAR-PCI-High-Grade-Nice-Coin-/141524754896?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20f38861d0

We would need better images to provide an estimate as to what PCGS or NGC would grade the coin as. PL coins (or coins claiming to prooflike), can be difficult to convey through internet images. With that said, the way it reflects light (or fails to reflect light) makes me think there is an excellent chance that this would never dwell in a top tier problem free slab. I hope I am wrong.

Coinman: I think the other one is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261722218472

(I think of these as the PCI Bullet Train label), but note how the barcode on the one you pointed to is in the middle of the label, vs. at the bottom in the one I'm pointing to.

Either way, I think it was a very short-lived company with zero market acceptance.

PCI was good a long time ago (early 90s). Every reincarnation of it since then has been "treat as raw". Bringing back the PCI name for purposes of name recognition seems as wise as changing your name to Michael Moore to better promote your weight loss and grooming products.

The coin you picture would probably be called "Unc details, cleaned" if sent to any of the mainstream grading services today.

Coinman: I think the other one is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261722218472

(I think of these as the PCI Bullet Train label), but note how the barcode on the one you pointed to is in the middle of the label, vs. at the bottom in the one I'm pointing to.

Either way, I think it was a very short-lived company with zero market acceptance.

+1

Thanks for that! With that said, I know I have seen another version of the PCI holder after David Lawrence's operation shut down.