• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rim damage?

7 posts in this topic

The photo is from a 1880 Morgan that I had bought about 6 months ago from a online dealer Golden Eagle that graded the coin BU. I was getting ready to sell the coin on Ebay as the coin was not worth submitting for grading and I noticed the rim ding with a slight raised area in the obverse field at the point of contact. Is this rim damage?

152207.jpg.a22b094a0c67aa6c56f984ec86c30c67.jpg

It is rim damage, but I have seen coins with minor bumps like this get into graded holders. Quite often it will be a case where a coin that might grade MS-64 to gets an MS-62. You should provide a picture of the side where the bump is to make sure if will grade. If the displaced metal "shouts out at you," it's a problem no matter how minor it looks on the edge. If it is a minor disturbance, you will have a better shot at getting a grade.

As Mark posted, your initial pic shows the edge not the rim. Regarding your additional image, I do not see any raised areas on the rim that result from the edge hit.

If you post clear images of the entire obverse and reverse, the forum can give you a better evaluation of the condition of your Morgan Dollar.

Carl