• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington Quarter posted by Daniel McMunn

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Are there any quarter collectors out there?

I am a Washington quarter collector !932-1998 with proofs. I never see journals of this or related sets. I am collecting quarters that are not toned. I am in the process of buying on lay-away a 1936 pf66 quarter. I have a couple MS65's alot of 66's and trying to upgrade to'67...............Daniel McMunn

See more journals by Daniel McMunn

Daniel,

There are many of us quarter collectors. :)

MS67 is the bomb and a full blast white to me is my choice for silver coins as I guess I would be called a purist collector. I add a few coins each year to the set I am building. No rush as it takes time to build your perfect set and of course money as well!!

Enjoy the hobby :grin:

Rick

Hello Daniel,

I was just posting new pictures I took for my America the Beautiful Quarter series today, when I saw your question. Yes, there are more than a couple other quarter collectors out here.

I have been collecting Washington's first uncertified and then certified for the more expensive ones as a way to protect my investments. I started mint state and proofs from 32-date. That has gotten trickier over the years with the state quarter releases and now the ATB series. I've focused on proofs for a while but i was pretty excited to finally get a 32-S and 32-D in mint state.

I will add a coin here or there as it takes me time to save up to get an ultra rare coin. Once you create a set type in the NGC registry, you will see other people that you can follow or converse with.

The registry is a fun competition and frustrating at times going after coins to complete a registry collection. Like the 36-98 proof quarter registry, I just recently slid to 3rd after Mr. Terry Hammes purchased two amazing coins from a recent coin auction.

Good luck to you in all you collecting endeavors!

Hi Daniel,

I also collect the Washington quarters from 1932 to date (current release coins). The only coins that I have certified are the key dates. I have a completed set in an intercept shield album and I find that I enjoy the coins more in albums. By nature I tend to be a type set guy. My type set is listed under JTO as "Johns certifiable type set" in 1792-1964. I really love the type set diversity, but an observation made by David Lange really rang true with me. He said that collectors, for the most part, spend more time and energy on the hunt than enjoying their collections.

My Washington Quarters are original and mostly white. I think that they would all grade in the 62-66 range but that would cost a lot of money for grading. Then, I know my self well enough to know that, I will start one upping (have a 64, see a 65 or 66 at auction and then the hunt is on).

Bottom line: is that it is all good. Just do what you like and check to be sure that you like what you are doing (as an obsessive compulsive the second half is key for me). Happy 2015.

John