• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colorful Copper - AT/NT/MA ?

17 posts in this topic

Cant say Ive seen color like this on a recent Lincoln... or a not so recent Lincoln but I am far from experienced enough to understand toning on copper as opposed to silver or clad...

So for the copper experts what say you ?

Oh, it was $2.30 and I bought it from a dealer on EBay (his photos) that rarely sells anything toned...

image.jpg

image.jpg

57_1.jpg

Doubt the colors will "hold" because is copper plate over zinc....a little moisture and it's a goner. (The "dealer" who took the photos should have his camera taken away for polluting light.)

If you are curious about the origin of the color then AT is probably the right answer.

If you are asking whether to submit to a TPG then the question is whether it is MA. IMO, it won't be graded as MA.

jom

I, quite honestly, would be very surprised to see it slabbed with a grade.

From the pictures, the look does not look MA even. I would guess some sort of heat inducement, just from the look and what others have shown (I still haven't experimented with ATing so I don't have first hand knowledge...though, I should try some of it just so I have that first hand knowledge moving forward).

You aren't "burned" on the price you paid, which is a good thing.....unless you pay for submissions, etc, and it doesn't grade...then it would sting a little.

Does the color of sellers other items look right?

If this cent is setting on a white piece of paper then sellers white balance is way out of whack. Notice the background looks light blue.

From the images I would say AT but better images might change my opinion.

@Mikew148 -- The seller is not someone who sells toned coins usually. So if it is AT I dont think he did it. He probably bought it and resold it. And probably didnt know it was AT (if it is).

And yes his photos are not very good...

For all of those that said AT (except Wooden Jefferson since he gave an explanation) -- tell me why you think its AT and if you really know your toning - how it was done.

Its very easy to "say AT." Its another thing to explain the process.

I dont know how it was done so Im also looking for some education here. I do know that copper doesnt tone like silver or clad. And I was always told that green on copper is a safe® bet.

And to my eyes, it doesnt look like the toning floats on the surface of the coin - rather it looks deep and bonded. So to me those two things seem to say NT.

So if anyone can give an true explanation I would welcome it and I think it could provide some education for others that post and lurk here. We have a lot of lurkers.

@Mikew148 -- The seller is not someone who sells toned coins usually. So if it is AT I dont think he did it. He probably bought it and resold it. And probably didnt know it was AT (if it is).

And yes his photos are not very good...

I think you misunderstood.

I'm not saying the seller did or didn't tone the coin. I was making a point about his camera settings. If the white balance is off then the rest of the colors are going to be off as well ;)

I've picked up some nice coins from images that look off in color :grin: -

I've also picked up a few dogs - :sorry:

@johnny MA - market acceptable - basically dont know if its AT or MA but its toning that the market will accept as being slabbed.

There are plenty of toners that are AT but are slabbed because they are market acceptable. And there are NT toners that are details graded because they arent market acceptable.