• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die fatigue?

22 posts in this topic

Finally have some use for the cherrypickers' guide. The photo in the book indicates this is a die fatigue instead of a double die. In reference to "in"(in God We Trust) as well as the T

Edit: this is half of what the entire photo looks like, but file manager tells me its 200,000 bytes and I been trying to reduce it in size. I don't know what is wrong so at the moment I am not able to post the entire photo which is 600dpi

finally able to post the entire coin. I do see some wear around the edges of "In God We Trust" ...is there any significance in the "Y" of Liberty?

151773.jpg.59e8d615ca14ed60ff61ad25bec2bc1d.jpg

151800.jpg.2e20c5d71d996d3d629b47a3570612ea.jpg

Die fatigue can cause the letters to get mushy, especially on the copper nickel coinage, because the planchets are so darn hard. For example the nickel five cent piece chewed up dies from it's introduction in the mid 19th century in to modern times because nickel is so hard to strike. Unfortunately the coin you have pictures is so worn that it is hard to tell what its problem is.

I tend to avoid late die state coins so I don't know if I have anything in my collection that I can post in a picture. I keep it in mind however and will post something here if I run across it.

When dies are fatigued, usually the fields (flat areas) become wavy and letters on periphery become mushy.

The 200 kB max is for hosting pictures on this site - if you put a picture somewhere else on the net (photobucket, tinypic, ...) and link the picture here, you can have larger kB pictures.

151790.jpg.469fccd7cc3fa14d7f4d23c82acb9277.jpg

What's the difference between "die fatigue" and "die erosion"? I always thought the first term is used to describe die cracks and die breaks while the later term is used to describe wear on the die surface. Obviously both can occur at the same time during the later life of a die.

chatzilla, would I be correct in saying you have some misalignment on the Eisenhower coin? I cant get photo bucket to work for me. I used paintnet.com...I wasn't able to post it here....I will keep trying

Bill that is a 1984 quarter...

Yes, and 1984 is 30 years ago believe it or not. If that coin has been in commerce continuously, it's gotten a lot of wear. Back in the days of silver coinage 20 to 25 years was considered to be the average useful life for a coin.

chatzilla, would I be correct in saying you have some misalignment on the Eisenhower coin? I cant get photo bucket to work for me. I used paintnet.com...I wasn't able to post it here....I will keep trying

It would be if the reverse was normal, but in this case it is an off center strike.

DSC07643_zpsa970bbaa.jpg

There are some very good books on coin production and resulting errors. Books can get very expensive if you buy them all, but some local public librarys have a good assortment and there is always the ANA. If you are a member, you can check out almost any book they have (which is most coin related books ever printed in US) and all it costs is shipping from Colorado office.

As you have already learned, coin collectors are sticklers for detail but remarkably imprecise in naming things.

As you have already learned, coin collectors are sticklers for detail but remarkably imprecise in naming things.

After 50 years most topics have morphed into new terminology...I'm certain an nonagenarian would look at me like I was from outer space if I used terminology from the 70's & 80's.

After 50 years most topics have morphed into new terminology...I'm certain an nonagenarian would look at me like I was from outer space if I used terminology from the 70's & 80's.

The new terminology is the result of lazy people who don't care if they spell or use words correctly or not.

Chris

moneyhoney,

You didn't say anything wrong - we like to kid each other and pull each other's legs a lot.

Pay no attention to the smart-alec kids in the back of the class and keep moving.

As children coin collectors used to pull the legs off insects -- one at a time. Now, as Dave G said, we pull one another's legs off -- one at a time.

oops, Chris did I say something wrong?

No, you didn't say anything wrong. I was referring to the kids who use their iPhones as their primary source of texting despite the fact that they are "all thumbs" and speed is more important than accuracy.

Chris

It is true that over time the terminology changes, but usually because we learn more and the terminology becomes more precise. After all what are ackidefects (circa 1929), or suction marks (circa 1960)?