• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1890 "P" Morgan

18 posts in this topic

MS-64.

The 1890-P Morgan Dollar is a common date, but it usually comes with so-so luster and less than wonderful eye appeal. This piece is a nice example for the issue, but it is not outstanding.

I really thought it had a chance at 64 when I shipped it. With a pretty clean cheek and neck and just one small area of chatter in the left then right obverse fields, that seemed achievable. It has that dull luster look and lacks "pop".

The lesson here was eye appeal. Even a reasonably unscathed coin lacking in eye appeal doesn't get the love.

I really thought it had a chance at 64 when I shipped it. With a pretty clean cheek and neck and just one small area of chatter in the left then right obverse fields, that seemed achievable. It has that dull luster look and lacks "pop".

The lesson here was eye appeal. Even a reasonably unscathed coin lacking in eye appeal doesn't get the love.

In all respects to our forum hosts, NGC got that coin wrong. Don't care what the slab says, MS64.

Carl

Have a very similar coin, but it's a 1902 S. Surfaces are very clean. I thought 64, came back 62. Discussed it with a reputable dealer and we agreed it came down to luster.

The issue in my opinion has to be less to do with the luster/eye appeal, and everything to do with hairlines that are not visable in the picture.

For everyone who is thinking/saying that NGC got it wrong, I will just point out that hairlines on coins are next to impossible to accurately depict in a photograph...