• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week # 50 - Let's get back on track...

20 posts in this topic

Excluding design changes and the "war nickels" of 1942-45, only one change has occurred in the physical properties of the copper-nickel five cent piece since its introduction in 1866. What was it?

First post that correctly answers wins Counterfeit Detection Volume II.

Don't forget, we also draw for a runner-up prize from all remaining posts with a correct answer.

Good Luck!

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back each Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

Besides Sunnywood having an extraordinary influence on the physical availability of shield nickels blush.gif , the diameter was changed from 20.5 mm (shield nicks) to 21.2 mm in 1883 (Libs) smile.gif

Hoot

What an odd question, especially for us non-nickel experts. I can think of no changes that were not either a design change (as I classify it) or the composition change during World War II. The nickel today is still 5 grams, 75% copper, 25% nickel, just like it was in 1866. We've change the position and size of mintmarks, added mintmark for Philadelphia, added the word cents, subtracted rays, and flattened out a mound, but I would think all of those are design changes. I am stumped.

The piece was increased in diameter from 20.5 mm to 21.2 mm when the design changed from the Shield design to the Liberty Head design. The weight did not change.

Just try to put a Shield Nickel into a Whitman folder! wink.gif

The question: Excluding design changes and the "war nickels" of 1942-45, only one change has occurred in the physical properties of the copper-nickel five-cent piece since its introduction in 1866. What was it?

The answer is The coin's diameter was increased in 1883 from 20.5 mm to 21.2 mm.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

The winner is BankNote1!

Your prize is Counterfeit Detection Volume 2.

Runner up winner is Boiler78.

Your prizes will be sent out ASAP.

Thanks for your participation!

If I haven't said it before, I like Numisma-Quest. Thank you for providing this learning tool. It's informative and very educational. Plus it gives me a chance to use the resource books I have for something more then looking at pictures. grin.gif