• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why won't NGC reverse a coin in the holder to display toning?

13 posts in this topic

Well, I have a question that may not be of interest to all that frequent this board, but is certainly of interest to most people who collect toned coins. Why is it that NGC will not place the reverse of a coin that displays really nice toning to the front of there holders? I have never been able to receive a response from NGC with any reasoning why they won't perform this service for collectors.

There's no real mystery to this one. We simply maintain a standard for placing coins in their holders in which the obverse is always placed on the label side. The exceptions to this are statehood quarters and certain world coins. For example, modern Mexican coins typically have a standardized national logo on their obverses, so the more meaningful side is the reverse.

For coins that have nice toning on their reverses, you may simply turn over the holder if desired. Many dealers do this in their display cases.

I understand the logic in keeping policy on this issue, but by NGC's very own words, they do make the exception. Why not continue that exception one step further and allow Rainbow toned coinage to be displayed with the reverse on the front of the holder?

What would be the downside for NGC? I see the upside! It's more enjoyable to see the toned reverse AND the insert at the same time.

What is the downside?

I can see both sides of the question, but the vast majority of NGC's dealer and collector customers value uniformity in the presentation of our certified coins. While a few people will appreciate the significance of placing the toned side up, doing this will likely result in a flurry of complaints from customers who seek consistency in our service. Bear in mind that coins do change hands, and subsequent purchasers may be reluctant to acquire a certified coin that does not match their expectations.

I actually had requested this of PCGS for my S/CC trade dollar - figuring that the reverse was the important side of that particular coin. They refused also.

Yes, I completely agree with braddick, what's the downside?? I really can't envision anyone complaining or refusing to purchase an NGC coin because it has a beautiful reverse tone facing the front, can you? The logic of uniformity just makes no sense in his instance to me.

In fact, chances are the person is purchasing that NGC coin BECAUSE of the toning, or at least partly because of that. I think people that don't even normally buy toned coins or appreciate them would not object to this.

Dragon

• Administrator

From a process point of view it adds to the overhead of having to custom-treat a number of coins as they move through the process, and make sure that the slabbers know which coins to do what with. A more complicated process leads to more expense and more opportunity for error - especially on a custom basis. It's easier with something like state quarters to just say "Ok, these are all placed like this" than it is to customize each coin.

Of course, that's just a thought from somewhere outside the inner workings.

Arch

I didn't know that turning a coin over in it's holder would be considered complicated. A short note such as (Place Coin Reverse To Front Of Holder) could be attached to the flip.

I forgot to add, as far as expense believe me if PCGS will do it the profits greatly out weigh any expense that may be encountered.

Dragon,

If I bought an NGC coin with the reverse side up, I would send it back and ask them to reverse it. It's bad enough having more than one type of slab to look at in my collection, so, the last thing I want to deal with is flip-flopped coins! The obverse is the obverse and the reverse is the reverse. Just a thought!

coinman,

But say the obverse of your coin looked like this, and the reverse looked like this . Which one would you rather have facing up? And its really annoying to see one upside down at a show and have to ask the dealer date and grade.

I hope Jay (goldennuggets) wont mind me using his rainbow pic.

Kyle