• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This might be the last US coin for me for a while.

30 posts in this topic

Not because I lost interest in US coins.....but because yen is falling against US$ dramatically.

1$ was worth only 75yen a few years ago but now, 1$= 121 yen.....wow! :o

lfRI0RE7ZX_zps5e5fdefd.jpg

lfYNFWRDWV_zps130c8a92.jpg

lfJY9JKPI9_zpsa85c3494.jpg

I got this coin from October Heritage Signature sale. Thank you Mr. Feld for viewing the lot. According to his opinion, the coin is not that nice enough to merit a gold bean, but I'm fully happy with MS62 grade for this date.

Mr. Feld had been helping me build a set of seated half dimes since he had been working for Pinnacle Rarities. Many of my seated half dimes had been screened by Mr. Feld prior to bidding/buying.

Now my seated half dime set is almost complete.....except for the unique 1870s :/

If you have a time to kill, please visit testing forum.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=8&Number=8166209&Searchpage=1&Main=360666&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post8166209

I posted all of my seated half dimes along with some other denominations of seated coins.

I find it very comfortable to use testing forum as my personal virtual coin album.

Nice pick up.

I think these things are rather relative. I think coin prices are a bit depressed so keep your eyes open. There might be something that comes along that's less expensive than you might expect.

Nice pick up.

I think these things are rather relative. I think coin prices are a bit depressed so keep your eyes open. There might be something that comes along that's less expensive than you might expect.

I might buy a coin or two if a "must have" ones show up.

It has been my great pleasure to work with Mr. Yutoku - Taro to me - for several years. He has always been extremely gracious, generous, kind and fun to work with. Watching and helping him add to his set has been a very gratifying experience. In fact, overall, it has easily been one of my most enjoyable times as a dealer. And the addition of this extremely rare coin to the set is the icing on the cake.

Congratulations again, Taro and thank you for allowing me the honor of assisting you. (thumbs u

I wish you success in finding a 70-S that meets your standards. Congrats on adding this beauty.

Dollar / Yen has been fluctuating in big swings for many years, so I'm sure it will be back in your favor in the near future. I've been in your country when the $1 bought 78 Yen and when it bought ~ 120 ish.

I do believe you will get the coin you want. It just may take a little time.

I wish you success in finding a 70-S that meets your standards. Congrats on adding this beauty.

Dollar / Yen has been fluctuating in big swings for many years, so I'm sure it will be back in your favor in the near future. I've been in your country when the $1 bought 78 Yen and when it bought ~ 120 ish.

The 1870-S Half Dime is thought to be unique or to have a total population of only two. There is currently just one known. Speculation is that there could be a second example inside the corner stone of the second San Francisco Mint.

The 1870-S Half Dime is thought to be unique or to have a total population of only two. There is currently just one known. Speculation is that there could be a second example inside the corner stone of the second San Francisco Mint.

I bet you could order one from Hong Kong ;)

I wish you success in finding a 70-S that meets your standards

If you find a genuine 70-S half dime, do you HAVE standards? :)

lol - genuine would be the only standard necessary to demand a huge price tag....

Why were there 6 pairs of dies at the SF Mint for this coin and only 1 or 2 coins struck?

I bet you could order one from Hong Kong ;)

Or maybe Mark can dig one up from SF mint for me :grin:

Seriously, rather than waiting for another 1870-S half dime to show up (regardless of the condition, it would be way beyond my budget), I'll enjoy collecting local coins until dollar falls against yen again.

Thank you for the compliments on my new coin, everyone. I'm really happy :D

Thanks Mark. Didn't know.

I wish you success in finding a 70-S that meets your standards

If you find a genuine 70-S half dime, do you HAVE standards? :)

After being educated about its scarcity, I guess my attempt to be kind seems silly.

Wow! Great collection of half dimes you've got there. And a Gobrecht dollar too!

Thank you. The Gobrecht is also from Mr. Feld when he was working for Pinnacle Raraties

Outstanding set!!! I notice you have a number of duplicates for several dates. Are those different varieties?

Thank you. I'm not a variety guy and I was just buying what I thought was cool.

In fact, I once had ten 1862 half dimes(common date)

But I had consigned many of my duplicates to MarkFeld rare coins to buy some key dates and a few type coins.