• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1983 Lincoln copper cent

11 posts in this topic

I accidentally found this info about this coin but, haven't been able to find the value of it. I have a few of these coins but, have to weigh them to determine if it's copper. Any suggestion on an accurate scale ? What is the value of these cents?

Thanks

Copper cents (as opposed to copper platted zinc cents) are very rare, with about 4 coins known for 1983, and maybe 1 or 2 known for 1983-D. They usually sell for $10,000-$20,000 in UNC.

The coins look the same as a zinc platted cent for the most part, but weigh 3.1 grams instead of 2.5 grams.

Copper cents (as opposed to copper platted zinc cents) are very rare, with about 4 coins known for 1983, and maybe 1 or 2 known for 1983-D. They usually sell for $10,000-$20,000 in UNC.

The coins look the same as a zinc platted cent for the most part, but weigh 3.1 grams instead of 2.5 grams.

thanks for the info. jon, that answers a few of my own questions as well :)

Johnny, what about the 1983s that don't look like the zinc plated? I have some old 1983 coins and they are not shiny like the zinc coins. I thought they were 95% zinc and plated with a thin layer of copper. I went back through my coins and pulled out all the "old" 1983s....

Bsshog40, they have been found....so perhaps there are some more out there

You may be right, but remember. There have been maybe a total of 6 found out of a little over 14 Billion minted between the 83' and 83' D. That still doesn't make for very good odds from my view. And you would probably have to have an accurate gram scale to be able to tell the difference.

Yes, 10th of a gram is what I have been reading. I sure wish I find one in my "stash". I didn't know about this coin and I have already wrapped hundreds of them. Don't know if I am going to re-wrap or not.... hm

moneyhoney,

You can make a basic cent scale with a popsicle stick and a pencil.

Just balance the popsicle stick on the pencil (like a teeter-totter), then put another cent on the other end to see which is heavier.

If you put a 1985 cent on one end and a 1980 cent on the other end, the end with the 1980 cent will be heavier.

It takes a little practice, but it's a cheap and easy way to tell a copper cent from a zinc cent.

Dave, I had to laugh at myself about that one, "I don't have a popsicle stick"..about as bad as not having a digital camera lol

I have ordered a tenth gram digital scale and can hardly wait for it to arrive so I can weigh my pennies...thanks for the info