• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 over 2 Walking Liberty Half Dollar Breen # 5197

7 posts in this topic

I have a Certified AU-53, 1943 over 2 Walking Liberty Half Dollar, Breen Number 5197.

I have looked it up in the Walter Breen book and it lists it as a "very rare coin".

I have searched everywhere that I am aware of, for a value for this coin,

but I am unable to locate any price for this coin. In fact, the only place I could find the coin

even listed is in the Breen Book.

If anyone could give me an estimated value for this coin, or tell me how to find out

this info. it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Philip

confused.gif

Breen's estimates of rarity turned out to be WAY off on many coins. They are not a good indicator of rarity today.

This variety isn't very rare. It's not common, but it's not that rare. I haven't sold one of these in a LONG time, but my guess is that the current value of this coin is under $100.

Greg is absolutely correct in that Breen is notorious for being exceptionally far off in his rarity "estimates" with many of his rare designations turning out to be much more common than he would have thought. Notice that I use quotes around the word "estimates" as many of Breens designations appear to be more like guesses than they appear to be based upon scholarship.