• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1854 Gold Dollar - Is it real?

13 posts in this topic

Doing some reorganization, and I am trying to determine if this coin is the real deal or not. I know these were heavily counterfeited. Weight appears to be correct but I just do not know the series at all and would love to have some others weigh in on possible diagnostics. FWIW, wear SEEMS much more evident on the obverse. Not sure if that information is helpful or not, but thought I would include it. I apologize for the subpar, low-lighting iphone pictures.

34gmty0.jpg

w1dzcn.jpg

jzxjwo.jpg

We need better pics with very high resolution before we can ever hope to authenticate your coin. This series has been heavily counterfeited and your coin should be properly authenticated.

[Look at the reverse denticles....]

I'd be more concerned with the edge of the reeding as seen in the pic of the reverse. It looks like it may have been broached (coin forced through a die to create the reeded edge) which would indicate a counterfeit.

The reverse denticles bothered me first thing.

You know, with the premium over gold, unlike fives, tens and twenties (now lacking premium), we'll probably see more bad ones and two and a halfs......

Paul