• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thin 1959d Cent?? Pics added last post!!!

12 posts in this topic

Ok guys, I'm out of town right now so no pics or weight. I found an odd cent at my wife's grandpas. Just by description, this thing is a little under half thickness of a normal cent. It also has the rim missing. Holding it atop another cent and it's just a tad smaller. It's actually the size of a dime. Thinner than the dime though and is copper colored, so not thinking it is a dime planchet. I'll be home tomorrow evening and I can get pics and weight then. Any ideas for now? Thanks!

Holding it atop another cent and it's just a tad smaller.

Centered on the other cent, is the rim the difference? I don't know about the thinness other than to say if it's outside the tolerances it may have just been a blank that slipped by and somehow made its way to the press. The rim may have missed the upset stage, the blank somehow having kicked out of there. If it doesn't have a rough, rather goose-bumped surface, I doubt it's acid.

Yeah, that's a classic high school chemistry class cent. You must remember, Bobby, pictures first, questions second. ;)
y

Well I was out of town and I was unable to take pics. From the description I gave, the right conclusions were given. The pics just gave proof of it. lol