• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newby with some questions

6 posts in this topic

The other night working on the heater I found a glass skippy jar full of old coins. Nothing super special but a good number of 64 and older Washington Quarters and Roosevelt and Mercury dimes with a couple Morgan dollars and some others mixed in. These are not mint examples by any means but generally look ok. Previously I had only collected bicentennial quarters and half dollars more for novelty.

Using the internet I found a few sites that listed what to be on the look out for and I don't think I have anything real unique but they are all worth a few bucks and seem to get a few bucks a piece on ebay. One of the sites I browsed http://coins.ha.com/ref/beginners-price-guide.zx

I have a scanner and was going to sell off my doubles first on ebay. Maybe one at a time for some profit and fun. While I have shipped collectable miniatures across the country, what is the proper way of packaging coins? Can I just use a few staples to trap them in some paper and put them in an envelope? I read quite the controversy surrounding zip lock style bags.

What else am I not thinking of that I need to?

Thanks in advance guys.

I usually put single raw coins in 2x2's. Then I put a little bubble wrap around that and then put them in a bubble envelope. The coins may not be very expensive but good packing shows that you are a caring seller.

Welcome to the forum!!

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

Bobby's suggestion is probably the easiest.

I don't know what controversy you've encountered about Zip-Lok bags, but if it has to do with PVC contamination, you can rest easy. Food storage bags do not contain PVC. Even if they did, the brief time a coin would be in one during shipping is most likely not long enough to damage it.

Chris

Welcome to the boards. I've received coins in many different forms when buying via eBay.

I agree with Bobby. Take care to put them in 2x2's or safe flips and send them in a bubble envelope. Your buyers will appreciate it.

When I leave feedback for sellers, I'll comment on the packaging. Sounds trivial, but if I know the seller cares, I'll be more likely to re-purchase.