• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newest Elephant by Congo Kid

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

One of the Finest Graded

I just added another Belgian Congo 1943 2 Francs piece to my collections. I actually have a few, but as many of you know, it's nice to keep upgrading when you can. So I finally added a new piece graded NGC MS65, which passes up my PCGS MS64. And for those of you who do not know the series, NGC has only graded 2 in MS65 and one in MS66, while PCGS has only graded 5 in MS64, 4 in MS65, and none higher. So as you can see it is a tough coin to find this nice. I was outbid on that MS66 piece when it showed up on eBay recently, and bid quite strongly too. I will be watching, as usual, for something even better! ;)

16118.JPG

See more journals by Congo Kid

Nice acquisition!

As a point of interest, this coins was minted by the Philadelphia mint and it is the only hexagonal shaped coin ever minted by a U.S. mint.

I acquired one of these as a raw coin and had it graded by NGC. Not quite as nice as this one, but at MS63, it's still a nice looking coin.

Thanks for the great input coin928! MS63 is still a nice grade for this 1 year type. I'd love to find a nice MS67 and buy it. Or even better, a specimen piece if one was ever made and still exists, which I doubt.