• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Forum hacker prevention

44 posts in this topic

This is probably slightly off topic - but it seems like this forum is increasingly subjected to hackers, viruses, and spam.

I'm sure there is a way to make this website more secure and safe for all of us.

NGC, what can be done to fix the problem? How can we help?

It is my opinion that something needs to be done sooner, rather than later.

I agree; possibly they could consider upgrades so that a human moderator is not required to delete out someone like the sammy spammer this morning. It should be relatively easy to have a computer interdiction of spammers like this; all they would need to do is set spam prevention criteria to common jerks like this "sammy" jerk.

Anytime you have an interactive board like this where members of the general public can leave messages and links you have the potential for this nonsense.

The most important thing is to NEVER CLICK A LINK posted by someone you don't know.

Another solid move is to appoint members who frequent the message boards as Moderators and have them remove spam and delete the spammers as soon as it's detected.

I agree that on public message boards you open yourself up to spammers and virus spreaders a.k.a sammy. Why they get their thrills making other peoples lives unpleasant, I don't know nor get.

I like the idea of appointing more moderators to the sight. They don't have to work for NGC and it can be someone who visits the boards on a daily basis.

I share the sentiments expressed here. However, NGC might not even see this thread.

I would recommend a similar thread on the "Ask NGC" forum and/or direct contact with NGC.

Why they get their thrills making other peoples lives unpleasant, I don't know nor get.

It's mostly spammers. The reason that they do it is because it works...sometimes. Even the Nigerian 419 scam still works. The goal is to cast a very wide net and pull in people that are credulous. Even if it's one in a thousand, spamming can be very profitable.

Here's good scam for ya...

I went through a toll without paying twice in one day because my E-ZPass account was empty, which I didn't know. The fine is $12. But if I don't pay it in a month, it increases to $112...an 833% increase from the original fine.

2m5o2td.jpg

Mr Smith,

I was a Fleet Manager for a company that had those white service vans. Every truck had an E-ZPass and there'd be the occasional hitch. Just contact your state and explain the failure to auto-reload. They'll cut you some slack if you're timely.

That rediculous fine is reserved for the scofflaws.

The wait on the phone can be time well spent looking at your entire collection............

Here's good scam for ya...

I went through a toll without paying twice in one day because my E-ZPass account was empty, which I didn't know. The fine is $12. But if I don't pay it in a month, it increases to $112...an 833% increase from the original fine.

2m5o2td.jpg

That sucks, but don't get me started about the tollways in the Chicago area! What they're doing is extortion. In essence, give me money up front ala the EZ Pass or I'll charge you double when paying as you go!

I grew up playing on a dirt hill where 355 is now. Those toll roads were only supposed to be in service until the roads were paid for...Well the estimate at the time was 7-8 years. That was 40+ years ago.

This forum requires registration before one can post a new thread or reply to an exiting one. What that tells me is that they are either not requiring email validation prior to activation or, at the very least, are using a very ineffective Captcha method.

There are so many effective plugins for this particular type of forum platform which would take only a few seconds to install that could effectively eliminate 100% of all future spam accounts I am amazed that they have not been proactive in this regard.

I share the sentiments expressed here. However, NGC might not even see this thread.

I would recommend a similar thread on the "Ask NGC" forum and/or direct contact with NGC.

I sent Arch a link to this thread.

Wow! EZpass sent you a bill before you even went through the toll gate!

Hahaha. Yeah, I noticed that. But I think they meant that the 12/19 violation would be the violation for not paying the fine. I thought about calling them out on it. But I'm assuming it would be just a waste of time.

Mr Smith,

I was a Fleet Manager for a company that had those white service vans. Every truck had an E-ZPass and there'd be the occasional hitch. Just contact your state and explain the failure to auto-reload. They'll cut you some slack if you're timely.

That rediculous fine is reserved for the scofflaws.

The wait on the phone can be time well spent looking at your entire collection............

Well, the $12 is a legitimate fine. The auto-reload didn't happen because my bank changed my credit card number. And I forgot to change my CC number in the EZ-Pass system. So it was my fault.

Not sure how it works elsewhere, but the EZ-Pass toll booths in MD will make a loud buzz sound if you go through without paying. I didn't hear it the first time going through...or wasn't paying attention to it. But I heard it the second time through.

if they are accepting new members automatically, they should put some limits for posting for first month or something

- max 1 new thread per 24 hr period

- max 3 posts per existing thread per 24 hr period

- no new members started Friday after close until Monday am

it is too easy for someone to try and link/sell their

that has nothing to do with coins, cards, comics,...

Thing is, if your allowed to register and post...your not a hacker. They usually hit on the weekends, today's guest 'sammy' had a Trojan horse attached to the link. If you clicked on it, you'd better run a scan, a deep scan.

Maybe we do need 'weekend warriors' ones that do not have access to delete, but have the ability to notify the appropriate insider of NGC who can.

The only thing we have is the "Notify" radio button, but if no one from NGC is looking the spammers/attackers have free reign.

I sent Arch a link to this thread.

Thank you.

This has to be, but not necessarily so, someone who was given the boot and has returned with vengeance. They are somehow getting around the ISP to join though, just weird.

Well, NGC is up and and are in the process of deleting these posts...thank you.

This has to be, but not necessarily so, someone who was given the boot and has returned with vengeance. They are somehow getting around the ISP to join though, just weird.

Well, NGC is up and and are in the process of deleting these posts...thank you.

It's a professional scammer. Do a WhoIs search on the URL. They've been at this for a while.