• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1886 S Morgan Silver Dollar

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I recently got this coin. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on it. It seems to be polished to me but I am no expert by any means. Would this still have value even though it's polished? It has a fairly nice tone and only 750,000 minted. I am just not sure the low mintage trumps it being polished.

Thanks,

Peter

11a8x7n.jpg

29ngkt2.jpg

k4wkrl.jpg

I agree with the others that the piece has been harshly cleaned and it looks scratched as well. It would not straight grade. As to value, it is greatly reduced, but it is hard to quantify. Because it is a better date, I could see it still fetching more than melt, perhaps as much as $25-$35 or so. Please don't quote me on the value aspect as I don't collect circulated Morgan Dollars or problem coins. This is the sort of coin that I would sell at no reserve on eBay at face and let the market decide the value.