• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 PL Kennedy??

43 posts in this topic

So there is talk ats about the "S" Mint enhanced uncirculated kennedy from the 4 coin set with designations for PL starting up. Anyone else heard this? I took a quick pic of this and it does have a nice PL surface to it.

2014KennedyEnhUncir_zps4d746827.jpg

I personally felt like the coin would be more fitting if it had the option to be designated "cameo".. it looks less like a prooflike business strike, and more like some sort of speciAL strike, maybe even a SMS Looking coin with the possibility of being cam or DC/UC. From the ones I've seen, I haven't seen any reverses that are anywhere near the contrast of the obverse. .. so probably just cameo at best. .. just my thoughts. I'd love to hear from someone who knows what if any designations will be possible on this particular coin...

I've only looked at one of my sets. The obverse was deep cameo for sure, the reverse was not like Irvin's. I'll have to look at the other when I get home today to see if there is a difference.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC grades these coins as SP for Specimen instead of MS, so they are of a distinctive finish.

Hmmmm...if I send a specimen coin to my local medical lab, will they test for an infection?

Not sure what to call these things. Hybrid, GMK (genetically modified Kennedy), semi-mirror, sorta-proofie-like....?

Well, let's start here. .. let's say I, (or anyone else for that matter) took a regular 2014 Kennedy and "altered" it to look exactly like this one does. .. What would you call it in a case like that?

NGC grades these coins as SP for Specimen instead of MS, so they are of a distinctive finish.

I think that is the best approach. They are clearly a special striking. While they may not technically meet the criteria for proof, they are definitely better than a normal business strike.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I generally dislike it when a coin is called prooflike that was intentionally struck that way. To me, that is a specimen, SMS, burnished, or some other designation.

While they may not technically meet the criteria for proof, they are definitely better than a normal business strikeI'm sure I'm in the minority, but I generally dislike it when a coin is called prooflike that was intentionally struck that way. To me, that is a specimen, SMS, burnished, or some other designation.

To play devil's advocate how do we know that your coronet half cent and my classic head half cent proof likes weren't intentionally struck that way? There are so few that it is plausible that both pieces were intended to be special specimen finished pieces.

Looks like these Enhanced Uncirculated coins are going to have a few different looks to them.

Here's what mine looks like - definitely not PL

IMG_3977-tile_zpsfcc9197c.jpg

This is quite the difference in what mine looks like. Yours looks more burnished as mine looks like the fields were polished and the rest with a cameo look. It would be interesting to know what the original look was suppose to be.

Do they all have that stripey effect on Kennedy's face, and the eagle's shield? Cause that looks pretty dumb.

I bought 3 sets and yes, all of the enhanced uncirculated coins have the "stripey" effect.

It's noticeable but not as much as the close up images make it seem. ;)

Do they all have that stripey effect on Kennedy's face, and the eagle's shield? Cause that looks pretty dumb.

Just going by my coin, it is very weird. All the details look cameo like a proof. The only difference is the shield on the eagle as it looks like a business strike. The weird part is the fields. Looking at it with the naked eye and it looks like it's been polished but not mirrored. Looking at it with my 7x loupe and it looks to have a cleaning polish to it. It looks badly hairlined. :o

Bobby, You got my curiosity up so I pulled out my other 2 sets.

One of the enhanced coins looks about the same as the one I posted. The other looks closer to the image you posted. It doesn't look to be reflective enough for a PL designation although it does have more of a Cameo look to it.

Maybe there is something the the PL talk from ATS hm

One of the enhanced coins looks about the same as the one I posted. The other looks closer to the image you posted. It doesn't look to be reflective enough for a PL designation although it does have more of a Cameo look to it.

Kind of odd to me. It would seem to me that these would be new dies. (shrug)

They were new dies, until they started striking metal under all that pressure lol . I see that dies are chrome-plated to help extend their lives - I wonder how long it takes for a half dollar die to start showing wear?

Here's a link to the die enhancement process, pretty cool read/clips even if you couldn't care less about these coins -

Note that the fields received a "special wire brushing technique". I'm wondering if that's where the inconsistencies could come in to play.

http://www.coinnews.net/2014/10/27/2014-s-enhanced-uncirculated-kennedy-half-dollar-production/

Looks like these Enhanced Uncirculated coins are going to have a few different looks to them.

Here's what mine looks like - definitely not PL

IMG_3977-tile_zpsfcc9197c.jpg

This is quite the difference in what mine looks like. Yours looks more burnished as mine looks like the fields were polished and the rest with a cameo look. It would be interesting to know what the original look was suppose to be.

I used 2 Jansjo lights directly over the coin with the translucent plastic that Brandon had mentioned in a past thread.

Just to clarify, my intention was to show the non PL surfaces but my technique here did make the coin appear a bit more "burnished" than it is in hand. ;)

I don't really care about the PL designation for the Enhanced Uncirculated because I feel the coin itself is a bit of a disappointment. But I decided to take a look at my one set.

To the naked eye, it looks half way between an uncirculated and proof coin. There's some cameo effect on the devices, lettering, but not enough mirroring in the fields to be a proof. Unlike the ASE enhanced proof, there's only 2 different finishes on the coin (for the record, I didn't care for the ASE enhanced proof either).

So in looking at my one enhanced uncirculated closer, to the naked eye, the obverse has some PL characteristics, but nothing close to being PL. Under slight magnification, I can see the lines on Kennedy's head similar to the images already posted in the thread. The fields don't have those distinct lines, but around 4-5 o'clock on the obverse, they're a little more noticeable. Under 10x loupe, the fields look like they've been improperly cleaned with tons of hairlines. IMO, this coin has been a disappointment.

I also think the set itself is a bit disappointing. I think the packaging and presentation material "cheapen" the set. IMO, this should have garnered the same level of detail as any of the ASE anniversary sets. After all, Kennedy was a POTUS.

I do like the reverse proof. It's the main reason I bought the set. I wouldn't call this set a failure as I'm not a Kennedy collector. It's just not my cup of tea.

Jason, you should be digging these. That's all die polish going on in the fields. By saying this looks dumb is like saying your whole PL collection is dumb!!! ;) BTW, I don't much care for the laser cameo etching that makes the lines but it's a neat affect with the die polish in the fields. It reminds me of the SMS series and I just love those!!

They were new dies, until they started striking metal under all that pressure lol . I see that dies are chrome-plated to help extend their lives - I wonder how long it takes for a half dollar die to start showing wear?

Here's a link to the die enhancement process, pretty cool read/clips even if you couldn't care less about these coins -

Note that the fields received a "special wire brushing technique". I'm wondering if that's where the inconsistencies could come in to play.

http://www.coinnews.net/2014/10/27/2014-s-enhanced-uncirculated-kennedy-half-dollar-production/

That would explain why the shield isn't frosted and the extensive wire brush marks showing in the fields. The wire brushing makes these look like they were harshly cleaned. Not a very good idea as far as I'm concerned. I think this is going to cause many problems with grading down the road. I really wouldn't be able distinguish these from mint polished to post mint cleaning if I had to.

Jason, you should be digging these. That's all die polish going on in the fields. By saying this looks dumb is like saying your whole PL collection is dumb!!! ;) BTW, I don't much care for the laser cameo etching that makes the lines but it's a neat affect with the die polish in the fields. It reminds me of the SMS series and I just love those!!

I haven't seen one in hand, so I don't know exactly how it looks. However, the difference is - this is an intentionally produced coin sold for a premium to collectors. Having parallel lines intentionally placed at an awkward angle on the devices just looks silly in this context. It might be a subtle difference, and all I have to go with are these pictures - but in these pictures, it looks really goofy.

On my PLs, I never really said the die polish was terribly eye appealing, just that it was interesting and added character. I like it because it contributed to the prooflike-ness, not because the die polish itself is attractive (usually).

After seeing your coin, I had to look at mine to see if it had all those diagonal lines going through the obverse surface.

Thank God! Mine did not have those and looked more like a Proof.

However, this does not make up for the fact that the Enhanced ASEs were stunning and beautiful. The frosting pattern on the Kennedy make it look bad. I am sure they could have figured out a better look, if they had tried.

Looks like NGC is now recognizing the PL designation for the Enhanced Proof Kennedy's.

I guess they are now realizing that there are different versions of these now. Not that I plan on selling mine, it would be interesting to see what the value difference of these will become.

Looks like NGC is now recognizing the PL designation for the Enhanced Proof Kennedy's.

I guess they are now realizing that there are different versions of these now. Not that I plan on selling mine, it would be interesting to see what the value difference of these will become.

Agreed Bobby. Mine looks to have some PL. I'll wait to see if the coin is going for gaga money before getting it graded. I'd rather just keep the set in tact in its OGP.

Guys, I bought 2 sets of the silver Kennedy half dollars and sent them to NGC. I got a mix of 69s and 70s with enough mix to have one full set of 70s. Both S Enhanced Uncirculated got SP70 and one of those got a PL designation. I am interested to see the SP70 PL census in a few months and the value. I am hoping this will be the first rare and valuable coin the U.S. Mint has shipped me out of all my orders over the years. I will post a picture when the U.S. Mail delivers the coins.