• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it my imagination????

15 posts in this topic

I recently joined NGC and am a novice coin collector. I got pulled in mainly by the state quearters, started with my daughter buying me one of those maps that you stick the quarters into. Well I am hooked and have expanded my collection and have learned some since I started.

My question is this.....It seems that most of the responses to posts on this site, regardless of what the question is are from a handful of regulars. Further, id you're not a regular, often you get no response to your post. I thought the point of this forum was to provide advice, input, feedback, etc. And if you make a post about anything modern, it's virtually ignored. Maybe it's just me. confused-smiley-013.gif

My question is this.....It seems that most of the responses to posts on this site, regardless of what the question is are from a handful of regulars.

That's probably because several of the regulars here are on the site throughout the day.

Further, id you're not a regular, often you get no response to your post.

I can't say I've seen this happen. Personally, there are very few types of posts that I can answer that I will ignore and they are mainly from people who are not contributors to these forums, but leeches. Kind of like "I inherited these coins and I want to know where to sell them for the most money. Tell me where!" I'm not Google.

And if you make a post about anything modern, it's virtually ignored.

That's just because the posters over here lean more toward the classic coins. However, there are a few people over here who do collect moderns.

I'm almost exclusively a foreign coin collector so I rarely have anything useful to add to the threads in the US coin forum. However, I've been around long enough to develop a rapport with some of the other regulars so in their threads I may add a simple "nice coin" or something to thier threads.

-JamminJ

Further, id you're not a regular, often you get no response to your post. I thought the point of this forum was to provide advice, input, feedback, etc. And if you make a post about anything modern, it's virtually ignored.

I must respectfully disagree with this assessment. I don't think I've ever seen a thread go without at least one response given. It is also a known fact that 'we' are just a little more laid back then PCGS forum. Sooner or later, someone here will see a thread they wish to respond to but it might be a few days before they do so. It most certainly isn't because we are ignoring the individual or what they have to say. In fact, I just did a back search of the last 10 pages of threads and found only 8 with no answers. The time span is 6 months. The questions may have been answered by PMs or no one had an answer to the question or the thread wasn't a question at all but rather disseminating info.

We have many people come to this forum looking for instant answers to their questions and we do try to help as soon as we get around to it. And we always welcome new collectors to the boards.

...advice, input, feedback...

This is exactly what you will get from knowledgable people depending on your thread. Just have a little patience. grin.gif

Speaking for myself, I respond to most posts that are related to my areas of collecting interest (gold and classic coins). Plus, I have responded to couple of your posts even though I don't spend much time on modern proof or mint sets. I do buy them from the Mint every year and put them away.

I do not submit any post 1955 coins for certification and don't pay much attention to pricing on these items, except PR69DCAM Kennedy halves. That is why I can not help you much. I read your posts, but do not have much to contribute that may be of use to you. Speaking for myself, I certainly am not ignoring you. This is a low key site though and you may have to be patient.

I guess it was my imagination...I never considered the lack of interest in Moderns, which is the greated part of my interest, thought I also enjoy buying raw morgans that look good and rolling the dice getting them slabbed. I really do appreciate the input, guess I just feel a little left out frown.gif from time to time.

I know you guys will know the answer to this......ON CV they always say how hard it is to get an ASE graded MS69 or 70. But the numbers of ASE graded 69 and 70 seem awfully high to me. If you submitted 10 "first strike" ASE's, what do you think the odds are of getting a MS70 and or MS 69????takeit.gif

From looking at them on dealers shelves, I would guess that a high percentage of ASE's would grade MS69, with about 3% of that number grading MS70.

I'll admit that I've seen your threads and that I have not answered them, however, that was entirely because of the subject matter and had nothing to do with the poster or the amount of time the poster was on the boards. I collect superbly toned silver coinage and problem-free early type. Neither of these niche markets are what your posts deal with and I have no expertise, and really no interest, in most moderns. I would encourage you to post more, though, as I am always happy to learn something new.

I hate being the first to respond to threads outside my area of expertise so often don't respond even when it does concern moderns. I really don't pay much attention to most moderns.

I guess it was my imagination...I never considered the lack of interest in Moderns, which is the greated part of my interest, thought I also enjoy buying raw morgans that look good and rolling the dice getting them slabbed. I really do appreciate the input, guess I just feel a little left out frown.gif from time to time.

I know you guys will know the answer to this......ON CV they always say how hard it is to get an ASE graded MS69 or 70. But the numbers of ASE graded 69 and 70 seem awfully high to me. If you submitted 10 "first strike" ASE's, what do you think the odds are of getting a MS70 and or MS 69????takeit.gif

If it's random, probably seven eight of the ten will grade 69. If you're picky, all ten should grade 69. Getting a 70 is simply a crapshoot.

TerrapinWill:

In response to your first question, I think you'd probably get more conversation/responses about moderns over on the PCGS boards. Of course, you also get a lot more other stuff, too. I think of the NGC board as more ... what's the word I'm looking for... might it be "gentle"? ... yes, I think the word is "gentle" as compared to the PCGS boards. But, I like them both and I learn from both.

In response to CV's claim that MS69 and MS70 grades are tough, I think it depends on the grading service. With some, it's a whole lot easier to get an MS70 than it is with others. smile.gif But, for the reputable grading services, I generally agree with Pat (Braddick) that probably 7 or 8 of semi-selected ASE's will grade MS69 and an MS70 is largely the result of chance, though perhaps some submitters have a better eye and hence a better chance of obtaining an MS70.

Mark

I hate being the first to respond to threads outside my area of expertise so often don't respond even when it does concern moderns. I really don't pay much attention to most moderns.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'll try and reply to any thread where I think I can contribute, but regarding Moderns, I'm still a novice myself! Please don't give up on us. At least you know it's a tight-knit group of board members.

James

screwy.gifmakepoint.gifsign-funnypost.gif